Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D6 8U Resurrection

Default D6 8U Resurrection

g'day

just decided to show the old d6 8u i bought for clearing my block after cyclone yasi did a number on it. Yes the d6 is rough with a capital R, but essential now clearing on my d2 has evolved from somewhat dangerous to downright dangerous. The d6 has not started yet, it all turns over free and the magneto now has spark after a tweaking. the carby is the hold up as it floods the right hand cylinder, just a clean and it should be right. the main clutch is my worry as the inspection cover was left off for what seem's an eternity. Funny i've never had a clutch stuck disengaged. Will update, no restoration just resurrection to get the job done. oh and that isn't my shed![IMG][/IMG]

Default Stuck Clutch.

Hi, Johncat07.
    My guess would be that the slide mechanism for the thrust bearing is stuck on the shaft and needs to be freed up. Some of Ol' Grump's 'loose juice' and a bit of gentle persuasion ought to do the trick.

Happy yunsticking. Hope it all works for you.
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.

Hi Johncat07, Welcome to the forum , The D6 should be a handy tractor ,and certainly a bit safer with the canopy than the D2.Certainly is a nice shed ,pity it can't follow the D6 home with you .Ian .

Default it'd alive

well i managed to get the old girl going, quiet easily today. So glad i didn't have the same troubles that i had thursday, with a few never in a million years events, and alot of cursing.i had a longer vid but didn't save it. maybe tommorow i'll get a walkaround vid. oh and the main clutch was disengaged all these years but still managed to weld itself together with rust, same problem i had on d2.

Default push start

the pony is giving me grief, dozer is outside now. reckon a d2 would push start a 6? what gear would be best?

try 4th on the 6
    make sure the reverser lever is forward for reverse and back for going forward

You can use the decompression lever to help get it spinning over.
    D2-5J's, D6-9U's, D318 and D333 power units, 12E-99E grader, 922B & 944A wheel loaders, D330C generator set, DW20 water tanker and a bunch of Jersey cows to take care of in my spare time

I agree with ccj. you should be able to start the 6 easily by pushing it. advantage of having another dozer is that you can get to lift the blade a bit on the 6, reduce the drag and get some traction on the 2. We started our d7 for years by towing it backwards with the blade dragging, have even done it with a 2 wd drive tractor. Use of the decompression lever is essential to get it spinning over.
    Cat D7 4T; Cat 951 A
    Fowler VF crawler
    Aveling Barford DX8 roller
    Ransomes TS 69 hexatrac plough (2)
    Ransomes mole plough

Hi John , I was wondering how did you get on with the cleaning up with the D6 ?

hi john,

I am up the road from you mate give us a call 0429 479 077 for a yarn. I have a couple of d4's.
    if you havent met or know of joe camilleri I'll give you his number when on the phone.
    He is a brilliant and very friendly cat mechanic up the palmerston.

mike if your reading this , i think i remember you saying that joe told you the d6's did not like being tow started as it was hard on the crankshafts, and that cat realeased a bulletin about this.
    had anyone else heard of this ?

hi john,

I am up the road from you mate give us a call 0429 479 077 for a yarn. I have a couple of d4's.
    if you havent met or know of joe camilleri I'll give you his number when on the phone.
    He is a brilliant and very friendly cat mechanic up the palmerston.

mike if your reading this , i think i remember you saying that joe told you the d6's did not like being tow started as it was hard on the crankshafts, and that cat realeased a bulletin about this.
    had anyone else heard of this ?