Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D6 8U Resurrection

Quote Originally Posted by callan View Post
    hi john,

I am up the road from you mate give us a call 0429 479 077 for a yarn. I have a couple of d4's.
    if you havent met or know of joe camilleri I'll give you his number when on the phone.
    He is a brilliant and very friendly cat mechanic up the palmerston.

mike if your reading this , i think i remember you saying that joe told you the d6's did not like being tow started as it was hard on the crankshafts, and that cat realeased a bulletin about this.
    had anyone else heard of this ?
    Hi John and Callan, Yes, that's what Joe told me, towing or push starting old Cats is a last resort deal because of the odd reverse strain placed on the crankshaft, he has seen more than his fair share of cracked cranks in his 55 years working on them as one of the best Bush Mechanics in Australia. I guess oil pressure wouldn't be in the green zone either in this situation, particularly if a Cat has been sitting out in the bush for a year or three not being driven, slowly filling with water, but hey, for every old Cat with a broken crank after push or pull starting, I'm sure there will be 10 folks chime in here now with stories of only push starting their old Cats for the past 40 years after the pilot motor crapped out!. When I go up to stay with Joe I'll be helping him work on the gearbox of a 8U I believe, after we finished splitting my D2 5U there and fitting new steering clutches, I told him I'll go on strike if he asks me to help fix anything other than Cats while I'm there, I'll leave the Fowlers, Internationals, Fiats and other makes to you schmarter boys!
    regards
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Meyer View Post
    Hi John and Callan, Yes, that's what Joe told me, towing or push starting old Cats is a last resort deal because of the odd reverse strain placed on the crankshaft, he has seen more than his fair share of cracked cranks in his 55 years working on them as one of the best Bush Mechanics in Australia. I guess oil pressure wouldn't be in the green zone either in this situation, particularly if a Cat has been sitting out in the bush for a year or three not being driven, slowly filling with water, but hey, for every old Cat with a broken crank after push or pull starting, I'm sure there will be 10 folks chime in here now with stories of only push starting their old Cats for the past 40 years after the pilot motor crapped out!. When I go up to stay with Joe I'll be helping him work on the gearbox of a 8U I believe, after we finished splitting my D2 5U there and fitting new steering clutches, I told him I'll go on strike if he asks me to help fix anything other than Cats while I'm there, I'll leave the Fowlers, Internationals, Fiats and other makes to you schmarter boys!
    regards
    Mike

yeah don't push start unless its a one off and you have no other option, extremely hard on both machines. True there is no oil pressure for about 5-10 secs, same as roll starting on a hill as i've done for maybe half dozen times. But just yesterday it was in it's position to roll start and i decided to throw a log under the front of the tracks and start it using the pilot motor, the way it should be,, a testament to the engine longevity of 15700hrs with the head being removed twice for work and the bottom end as it was when it left the factory in 1948.

Quote Originally Posted by ianoz View Post
    Hi John , I was wondering how did you get on with the cleaning up with the D6 ?
    yeah sorry bloke for the late reply i have been on internet exile. The d6 didn't miss a beat, not one problem at all, new oils and a greasing that's it. I have since found out this machine hadn't been used for some 15yrs when laid up after building a dam for the previous owner, previous to that was the main logging tractor for the same owner from new as a brisbane hastings machine. Apparently when it was used for clearing, on the larger trees it couldn't push over flat one track was placed on the trunk of the tree and the machine walked up, evidence of this i can see on the belly pan.

Anyway after the wet season layup it's just been awoken again to create a house pad and a couple of shed pads, should be interesting as the blade an a frame have a lot of slop.

cheers john

Hi John , Glad to hear she did not miss a beat .. Great old machine ,Ours is a 1947 model .