Thread: Replacing D3B starter

Default Replacing D3B starter

I have a 80's model D3B dozer. The starter is locked up on it. How many bolts hold the starter to the bell housing? Also, can the starter be removed without taking the belly pan off?

When the starter button is pushed, the starter/solenoid just clicks repeatly until you let off the button. I originally thought that it might be the solenoid. I disconnected the starter and confirmed that the solenoid works correctly. I then took a wrench and manually jumped across the solenoid. The starter did not spin. This leads me to think that the starter is lockup up.

I look forward to your replies

Default starter

Quote Originally Posted by rrrepsher View Post
    I have a 80's model D3B dozer. The starter is locked up on it. How many bolts hold the starter to the bell housing? Also, can the starter be removed without taking the belly pan off?

When the starter button is pushed, the starter/solenoid just clicks repeatly until you let off the button. I originally thought that it might be the solenoid. I disconnected the starter and confirmed that the solenoid works correctly. I then took a wrench and manually jumped across the solenoid. The starter did not spin. This leads me to think that the starter is lockup up.

I look forward to your replies
    3 bolts, check your battery and wiring first,d-3 is known for wiring issues.

Good luck
    Bob

Before you pull the starter, reach in and turn the fan (and engine) a bit and try the starter again. Sometimes what happens is that the teeth won't engage, what my dad used to call "hitting dead center". Not a common occurrence but I've seen it happen clear back to when I was messing with Ford flathead engines when I was a kid.

Good point "ol grump"....starter drive has to engage flywheel to make the cranking contacts.

Still remember "Rocking the old V-8"s" when you had the misfortune of downhill diagonal parking against a curb and the starter drive jamed......

That starter is notorious for burning the flex leads on the brushes loose in the carbon. You can replace the brushes and springs without removing the starter. Take the rear cover off and if you find a loose wire, press on it with a screwdriver while engaging the solenoid to check if the starter will run.