Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Caterpillar 60

Default Caterpillar 60

I am trying to get an idea what a cat sixty is worth I have located one close by. The cat is pretty complete it has the original mag carb fenders, it also has a hydraulic unit on it that apears to be original. There is also a blade that goes on it. motor is stuck, undercarriage is decent, has ice growsers and the cold weather radiater but there is no hood or cab. Thanks Travis

Sombody has to have an idea?

Default A guess

A real nice running Sixty with original hydraulic blade, good undercarriage and nifty small gas starting motor sold in the USA for around $9,000 recently, so that makes one with a stuck motor worth significantly less, surely? Are you buying it or selling it?
    Mike

Looking to buy it. This isn't a pony start . It's the ol bar in the flywheel trick

I read your post a little closer I believe you meant that the starting motor was an ad on

Quote Originally Posted by travis urbat View Post
    I read your post a little closer I believe you meant that the starting motor was an ad on
    Correct, it mounted on the left fender from memory, I assume a belt ran to the main motor flywheel. They made a lot of Cat Sixty's over the years and I recall someone on here saying recently they were not worth more than a couple of thousand dollars because that was all they had paid for the one's they had bought over the years. No doubt many were bought for a few hundred dollars in the 70's, 80's and 90's when scrap steel was only worth $30 a ton, they had no value to most folks then.
    regards
    Mike

Thanks for the replies, anybody else seen what they typically go for or have an opinion. Opinions are welcome!!!

They generally sell anywhere from $2500 to $5000 around here @ $200 a ton they should salvage for $2000. Just depends on condition and completeness. Check the track and manifolds, they are usually the problem areas. The engines in the Sixties are about the easiest engine to work on as you can disassemble and work on each cylinder individually.
    Holt T-35 15 20 22 30 60 D46U

Travis,

It really boils down to what the seller wants to let it go for and what you are comfortable in paying for it. Scrap prices are high now and somethings will just go to scrap. I have been offered D4's with both engine stuck for 1,500 (which is scrap price here). I can buy a running D4 for about 2,500. To me, I would rather spend the extra 1k and drive the tractor the next day. Rather than put tons of money into two engines and then find out there are other problems....

John

Does anybody know of any for sale in the 2500 to 5000 range? it is sounding like that is kind of the consensus for what a stuck one would sell for. The one I am looking at is more than that. The good part is that it is close enough that it wouldnt cost me much to get it to my house.
    Last edited by Cat Tracks; 02-03-2012 at 03:49 PM.