Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pond sealing. What have you used?

Wow, thanks for that! the classes of soil defined on the site are 5982 Nalim Loam, and 6323 Blanket Silt Loam. Both indicate well drained but I have to question any under surface descriptions. I know there is more clay down there but also when I map a large 250 acre area around there, there are about 5 different classifications so I guess it is possible that any data from other ponds is null/void in my area.

Do you have any resources like that for ground water!!!! We are still trying to decide where to pop a well in out there. The next door neighbor has a pond right on the drainage creek on the back of our properties. I guess they hit water when digging and the pond has been full ever since.

To my amazement, the well for their house is 1000ft from that area and is about a 20gpm well. I want to drill much closer to that creek area in hopes of finding more water. I would LOVE to see 100gpm but that area is not known for great wells. Plenty of fine sand but course sand to gravel which will give the water up is hard to find. Only a hand full of wells within a few sections of land out there.

Myself and my pocket book are scared to start shooting blanks out there at $18/ft. If I had the time, I would build something to drill my own but I have to have at least one certified well anyway for drinking water.

You mind sharing the location you're going to dig? I could get a better feel for the area, and see what kinda substrates you're dealing with. Also, if you have a machine on site, dig a few test trenches to see the soil layers.

Similar to what I did here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/etd66ss/33031478/

You can generate reports specifically for pond excavations.

Be happy to PM ya on the area. Just did not want posted all over the www. I did a report for "ponding" and it came back "none" lol.... All while there are 3 ponds within .5miles that are on the creek and holding water no prob. I am even surprised they hold water like that being in a silted creek bed area.

Ok, I PM'ed you my soil reports.

Thanks or that! Really looks like I need to get the hoe there and do some test digging before I commit to anything.

Hey, since you are so resourceful, do you know where I can get a high quality topo map? trying to decide placement and will take a LONG time to map with a transit. A topo map would be priceless right now but needs to be pretty refined to do us much good.