Thread: Repair of broken brake bands

Default Repair of broken brake bands

I found that both of the brake bands on my CAT22 were in need of repair and re-lining. One of the threaded rods, spring and nuts were broken off and missing. I managed to break the other threaded rod when I tried to remove the rusted-on nut. In order to repair the brake bands I purchased 3/8"-24 threaded rod, and coupling nuts from McMaster Carr, and B18-153 springs from Century Spring. I cut off, then drilled out the broken threaded rods, then welded in the new threaded rods. I cut the coupling nut in half and ground them down to the proper profile. I made an extra set in case I need it in the future. Then a trip to the local truck brake shop for new linings. An easy, quick, low cost fix to a nagging problem. See Photos below. I have included the old spring and nut, as well as my reproduction parts. Hope this helps others faced with the same problem. Ray

DSC_0122.jpgDSC_0123.jpgDSC_0124.jpg

Default Nice work

Thanks for sharing that repair job, you are obviously pretty handy around a lathe. How much did the new linings cost just out of curiosity?
    regards
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Meyer View Post
    Thanks for sharing that repair job, you are obviously pretty handy around a lathe. How much did the new linings cost just out of curiosity?
    regards
    Mike
    Mike,
    I did not need to use a lathe. I just build an alignment fixture to hold the brake band and drilled out the old threaded rod with my drill press. I drilled all the way through the boss that holds the threaded rod. Then I used a bench grinder to grind off the threads of the new rod where it passes through the boss, then I MIG welded the rod to the boss on both ends of the boss for maximum strength. I also used a bench grinder to shape the retaining nuts to the right profile to fit.

I am sure I paid too much for the re-lining, I think it was around $70 each from a local truck brake repair shop. At least I did not have to pay for shipping. Ray

Quote Originally Posted by puffer@rpi.edu View Post
    Mike,
    I did not need to use a lathe. I just build an alignment fixture to hold the brake band and drilled out the old threaded rod with my drill press. I drilled all the way through the boss that holds the threaded rod. Then I used a bench grinder to grind off the threads of the new rod where it passes through the boss, then I MIG welded the rod to the boss on both ends of the boss for maximum strength. I also used a bench grinder to shape the retaining nuts to the right profile to fit.

I am sure I paid too much for the re-lining, I think it was around $70 each from a local truck brake repair shop. At least I did not have to pay for shipping. Ray
    $70 each sounds reasonable to me, particularly if they supplied the lining material and rivets, it takes awhile to do the job right. Nice work with the hand tools, I do a lot of that too, one of these days I need to buy a lathe, and then learn how to use it!
    regards
    Mike

Default A metel lathe would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Meyer View Post
    $70 each sounds reasonable to me, particularly if they supplied the lining material and rivets, it takes awhile to do the job right. Nice work with the hand tools, I do a lot of that too, one of these days I need to buy a lathe, and then learn how to use it!
    regards
    Mike
    Mike,
    In my third career, following a career in the military and a career as a researcher in a leading university, I am a professional woodturner. I have a great wood lathe, but really also want a nice metal lathe. If only I had the space for it. See my web site at: www.RP-Woodturner.com. It's still a work in progress, but you will get the idea. I guess I need to build an annex to the addition I built onto my garage. Too many hobbies and not enough space or time. :-) Ray

Default Nice work

You are very clever with the wood lathe, congratulations.
    regards
    Mike

Nice work, thanks for sharing!
    D2 5u & 3J
    212 9T
    RD4
    D4 7J & 7U
    R4 4G
    Diesel 35
    Diesel 40
    Gas 50's 5A
    Diesel 50 1E1755