Thread: D2 3J Injectors removal

Default D2 3J Injectors removal

Does anyone have any words of wisdom that could help me remove the injectors? Hopefully if I get some oil into the old girl she might turn over.

Here's a thread that shows how to make a tool to remove the injector retaining nut: http://www.acmoc.org/bb/showthread.p...r-Removal-Tool
    Cheers,
    Neil.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Default injector socket

Make that injector socket as Neil suggests. I just went through this a couple days ago. My head was already off, so this idea won't work unless you can get the valve springs off with the head on (the one time stuck valves are actually beneficial). I made up an official Cat injector wrench, but my 3/4" impact would not budge them. Don't bother trying to heat the nut because you can't really get the heat where you want it, and the injector must be protected no matter what. I cut the top off my socket and changed it to 1" drive, clamped the head to the bench and put a torque multiplier on it. The first one came out, on the second, the socket blew apart and caught the fuel inlet on the injector. Thus I learned that the injector halves unscrew above the clamp nut. Then a standard shallow socket can be placed on the clamp nut. I had to remove the valve springs because the pre-chambers were coming out with the injectors, and clearance is needed for the injector inlets as they swing around. They just clear the valve guides by 1/32". If your pre-chambers come out, put them upside-down in a vise and grab the clamp nut. Heat the area around the O-ring groove and they come apart easily. I would not recommend arbitrarily unscrewing the injector halves to allow the use of a standard socket. You will invariably get dirt in there. I kept on repairing my socket until they were all out. I also think that if your head has set screws against the pre-chambers, (mine did not) that you remove them, and if the pre-chamber wants to come out, let it. It takes far less force to separate the pre-chamber from the injector in the vise with a little heat than to force it to turn where it doesn't want to. I'd like to thank Neil and Old Magnet for their input... and Jim at Weller's... My situation looked real dismal a few days ago. The way those things were coming out I was sure they were stripping the head. They all came out and cleaned up real nice. Thanks guys. Fritz

If you just want to get some loose juice in the cylinders you could dump some diesel-atf mix or Kroil down the exaust manifold and work the exaust valves up and down to get it in the cylinders. It is kind of crude but will save hasseling with the injection valves.