Thread: D8 info needed !

Default D8 info needed !

I am looking at a D8 dozer tractor. The serial is 36A2065, transmission tag says 9H6833. This has a cable unit on the rear and straight blade (cable operated) on the front, almost 13ft. +/- wide Direct drive transmission. What's the horsepower and weight of this tractor? Is this a high-horse D8H? Any help is appreciated! Steeltracs
    Last edited by steeltracs; 04-26-2012 at 11:45 PM.

That's a 235hp model. High horse didn't come in until #4649 (270hp).
    Bare tractor weight 46,500 lbs
    8S blade w/ccu 6355 lbs. (need blade s/n to get any more accurate)

Default D8 Tractor Info

According to my book your tractor is a 1959 model.

Default More Questions!

Thanks for the information. I took this tractor for a spin yesterday and think that it might find a new home. A little big to use as a mailbox stand though. Is it unusal to have a cable operated dozer instead of a hydralic one? Where most of these direct start? This one is pony powered.

There were still a lot of owners who preferred cable operation to hydraulics on D8's until the early 1960's, same with pilot motor starters, was not until mid 60's that it became standard for direct electric and optional to have a pilot motor. I always preferred the direct electric start on the 270hp D8's, just heat and fire, good batteries were a necessity. I had one 270, 46A19605 with a pilot motor, when the pilot motor got tired it took forever to fire the D342 in the snow, grinding away in low range first, then into high range when it warmed up before compressing and opening the throttle, some days it took a good 20 minutes, the direct electric, 46A21566 took 2 minutes.

You will have a lot of fun with a D8H, they are a fantastic toy, just feel like a big D6 to operate, does it have anything on the back?

If you change your mind there is a drive end adapter for the 40/50MT starter that makes a pretty clean installation on the D7, D8, D9.
    Uses the helical drive to match the pony flywheel.

Original direct starts are different in that they are straight tooth drive and use the long nose DEH's

Good old horse, I had 36A4093 for several years, put 16K hours on it before moving to a K. Keep the clutch brake adjusted and oil free so you can get it in gear. Also the clutch pump idler gear is a splash lubed brass bushing held on the shaft by a light duty clip, keep an eye on it when adjusting the main clutch, had mine come off the shaft once. If it is loose on the shaft replace the bushing. Good luck