Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A D-Day Appeal to Members from the Board and the Nominating Committee

Default A D-Day Appeal to Members from the Board and the Nominating Committee

There are 3 seats up for election to the ACMOC board of directors. President Dave Wintermute (New Jersey) and Director Jim Clack (Maryland), will be termed-out at the end of this year. Director Hudson Biggs (New Zealand) has chosen not to run.

We very much need volunteers to serve on the board. Every volunteer organization, including churches and others, has a difficult time these days in securing volunteer leadership. ACMOC is no exception.

The 9 member board of directors usually meets monthly by telephone conference call (we have a toll-free line for Directors who dont have unlimited long-distance service). Meetings normally last from 1 to 2 hours each. We try to have a face-to-face meeting every spring in Peoria, Illinois, which meeting lasts a couple of days, with time out for Cat plant tours. We also try to have face-to-face meetings at the ACMOC annual national shows.

There are many important questions facing the board and we struggle with them. The board runs this club; it is not an honorary or debating society. There are a number of committees of the board that report and recommend on problems and their solutions. There is constant challenge and change going on.

We need people on the board with new and different perspectives. We would like to see younger members volunteer we think the club (like many) is aging, and wed like to recruit younger people into the hobby. Wed also like to see more members from the eastern part of the US volunteer too.

Feel free to respond to this posting giving your views on joining the board. Wed like to hear from you. Our time is growing short and the nominating committee needs to hear from members. Thanks for any consideration you can give to this message.

George W. Howard

Well , I don't know about anyone else ,but I would like to see George W Howard , nominated to stand ,and bring his experience and a steady hand at the wheel ,Back to the club .
    While the idea of getting youger people involved in running the club definately has merit .Very few can ,I would think , be able to have the time to Needed to put into the position . Not with out affecting Family and work commitments .
    So what say you other members .Any seconds to nominate GWH ?

One thing to consider about George is he is already the recording sec. for the ACMOC club and is very busy keeping all information accurate and current.
    George is very good at what he does and is very qualified to do the job and as a director but.... we would like more people involved so the workload is spread evenly across all volunteers.

Now I am not speaking for George and if he wants to put his name in the hat as a director I welcome it.
    Erik Christenbury
    Cat List: More than some, less than others
    https://chriscomachinery.com/caterpillar-machinery/

Thanks Ianoz and Erik. No, thank you, but no, I'm not desirous of joing the board. I've had my turn, and think others would benefit from the privilege. I've seen a number of complaints voiced over the years about things the board has done, or failed to do. Isn't it time for the "complainers" to step up to the plate and help the board do the right things? Well, that is probably a bit of an overstatement. But you get the idea.

For those "overseas", I forgot to mention that Hudson attended the Peoria meeting by telephone conference call. We don't expect him to travel to Peoria for a meeting.

The board needs some new blood and I was hoping that by bringing this matter to everyone's attention on the bulletin board, some members might be stimulated to offer their services to the club. Let us not have a club where the same guys rotate through the board repeatedly. We don't want this to become an "old boy's network", but one that is open to change with improvement.

GWH

Some years back Al Smith had me just about talked into running for a director seat. We discussed it at length and I was a director on the BOD of our local club and trying to get a digging area started at the club. Maybe it is time to look at it as my term limit is up as a director at the local club and we are established in our sand box with a building going up.
    Terry

The bad part......Being on any Board of Directors requires time and effort. Sometimes difficult decisions need to be made.
    The good part.....You get to meet lots of wonderful people in our club. You get a sense of satisfaction knowing you are working for a good cause and one that you support. You get to see the fruits of your labors and watch projects and ideas materialize and grow.

I have been on the board and would encourage anyone with an interest to PM myself with questions. I am sure George and other existing or past members would be willing to help too. Many good organizations run on the backs of volunteers. Ours is one of them. Give it some thought.

Biggastractor

Smile

Terry What Biggastractor said couldnt have been said any better, as chairman of the nominating committee I'm looking forward to hearing from you before the 15th of June
    Thanks for volunteering Willie
    Last edited by Willie; 06-08-2012 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chriscokid View Post
    One thing to consider about George is he is already the recording sec. for the ACMOC club and is very busy keeping all information accurate and current.
    George is very good at what he does and is very qualified to do the job and as a director but.... we would like more people involved so the workload is spread evenly across all volunteers.

Now I am not speaking for George and if he wants to put his name in the hat as a director I welcome it.
    Out of interest , Why,if George is busy recording what is happening at BoD meetings , Is this infomation not being shown in the members area ?. I have asked the question a couple of days ago in the BB operations area ,with no responce .It has been over 6 months since a meeting has been updated .
    Yes I know there is a report in each magazine ,but it is a quick summary .
    In the last report I read ,it was said the there was a difference of 30 of DW20 models shown held in stock ,to the number sold .. That is about $6000.00 worth , Now I have been waiting since September last year for the next BoD report which the The Question asked of First gear as to the stocktake number was to be answered ..
    I also pointed out that 14 of the 17 Links to Additional Photo and infomation from earlier magazine stories do not work .

Default Step up

Hey Gang,

I agree with GWH in his post above. It's time for complainers to step up and do the right thing. The club needs you to give some time and fix it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I dont remember anything about 30 DW20s missing and we did and inventory audit awhile back and all checked out correct. We are not missing 30 DW20s and never did.
    GWH is one guy working as a volunteer and what he does is very very good and as he gets time Im sure he will post the newer minutes but its long process. After meeting minutes are done we have to wait till next meeting to aprove the minutes before they can be release and we have cut staff back to save money and all this posting is done now by volunteers at their conveniance and things just dont happen that fast. But if you want to step up and volunteer to do it we would be more then happy to have you help out. Everything GWH does now for free, was done by paid staff in the past.
    As for GWH as BoD member we have asked many times over the past year and close to beg him to be on the BoD but its something he says no to. When we appointed him as the rec. sec. we could have just as easly appointed him as a BoD member and club sec. if he would have been willing.
    If you dont like something here,you have a chance to change it, just send in your resume and request to run for BoD election.
    With All due respect Willie ,Taken from the minutes , It was a committe meeting report , one that you did not take part in .
    "There is a significant difference in the DW20 quantity with a loss of 31 models noted."
    Seems to me If the club is looking for younger people With a passion for caterpillar machinery ,and qualitys needed are that they have complained about the direction the club has been headed .
    Then I nominate Bob Stewart and Byron Heal.