Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mail Clients?

Default Mail Clients?

I am sure many of us find it troublesome that our PM boxes fill up quickly and become disabled as a result. I am wondering if our PM boxes can be set up to utilize a mail client such as Outlook, Outlook Express, iPhones and Androids. Enabling this feature should allow us to download message directly to our phones or PCs and keep space free on the server. It would function similar to how an ISP, gmail or hotmail works. I already did a search and also browsed the FAQ but didn't find an answer to this question so I'm wondering if this exists or if it can be added. I think it would be a great feature and would be glad to help implement and test it....and maybe even write up some documentation for others to use it.

Jamie

Go under the settings for your account and click on the buttom for email notification for when you recieved a new priviate message.(as shown below)

Email Notification of New Private Messages:
    Check BoX Receive Email Notification of new Private Messages
    UN Check BoX Don't receive Email Notification of new Private Messages
    The forum can send a message to your email address to inform you when someone sends you a private message.
    New Private Message Notification Pop-up:
    Check BoX Show New Private Message Notification Pop-up
    UN Check BoX Don't show New Private Message Notification Pop-upIf you are browsing the forums when you receive a new private message, the system can pop-up a notification box informing you of the new message.
    Erik Christenbury
    Cat List: More than some, less than others
    http://www.chriscomachinery.com/ACMOChapter12.htm

The notification feature is nice, but it doesn't prevent your inbox from filling up and becoming disabled. Configuring mail clients would allow us to download all of our mail and keep as much as we want on our local PC or phone. I would certainly like to keep more than what is allowed right now. Additionally, we would not have to go to the website to check our ACMOC mail. It would come straight to our phone or computer.

I don't know what this site is built on or if it can even function as a mail server....it was just a thought I had after my PM box got full (again) and I then deleted some things I would rather have kept.

Jamie

Jamie , If you have email notification ,you get a copy of the PM sent . I then store these in a folder in my email thingie .Pretty sure ,then when you delete the PM in the PM box ,you still have a copy in the emails .

When I logged in to the forum with my Android tablet I was offered an app that is supposed to do all those things. After reading tbe reviews I decided not to try it. I very seldom get a PM anyway.

You can't reply to the notification, right?

Has anyone tried the 'app for that'?

JD, you have the option to download the messages in your mailbox to a word document. The PM feature is only meant as a messaging feature, not as an email provider. For record keeping and informational purposes, when my PM box fills up (because there are documents I want to save), I just download the messages and save as a .doc file with the range of dates as the file name.
    933 42A, D4 7U, 2- D2 5U, 2- D2 4U, PV 15, LaPlante Choate C-20 scraper, and always with an eye out for more

When you say download, do you mean copy and paste in to a word doc?

I downloaded the app for my iPhone. It doesn't help manage messages but it sure helps viewing the site, pictures, reading and replying to messages. Not to shabby for $2.

Quote Originally Posted by jdkoller View Post
    When you say download, do you mean copy and paste in to a word doc?
    Yes. This is what I do.
    933 42A, D4 7U, 2- D2 5U, 2- D2 4U, PV 15, LaPlante Choate C-20 scraper, and always with an eye out for more

Hey guys,

I've been using the the forum runner app for a couple weeks now. I'm finding it more friendly than the website. It's better for photos and links to other places such as YouTube. You can type with either messages or replying to posts better. Normally typing on the site is sluggish. I think that is because of auto save or autocorrect.

Anyway, it's a step up for us iPhone users.

Jamie