Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: About that 46-30 genset

Default Dw20 / dw10

Quote Originally Posted by ccjersey View Post
    A generator set ordered for a specific load like the lighthouse may have not needed much in the way of automatic voltage regulation. Consistent load, has to run reliably, every night, all night, so part count and failure modes would favor a simple voltage control system. Perhaps only a rheostat to change the resistance in the field circuit.

I have a 1944 model Buda set with both automatic (via a Reg-Ohm mechanical regulator) and manual via the rheostat. I don't think most folks had a lot of faith in the reliablity of the electrical controls at that time. With the D4600, if worse came to worst, a can of gasoline and a starting rope would get the lights on.
    Greetings, the bottom of your posting says that you have a DW20. I just found a DW10. Can you assist with any information?
    thank you Marty 773-for-nine-zero-9747

I took a few pics this evening. You can see the breaker 125 amp . The 250 amp switch box. The wiresfastened to some sort of fiber plates with some contraption in the middle and a small meter as well as a spare hydraulic woodward governor. It came with a couple of these as extras. Must be important I guesss.
    Cat genset parts 001.JPGCat genset parts 002.JPGCat genset parts 003.JPGCat genset parts 004.JPGCat genset parts 005.JPGCat genset parts 006.JPG
    193? d4400 cat powerunit
    1950 john deere M
    1959 international t5 crawler
    1977 powerking 1216 tractor

The numbers on the engine are 1S6165SP. And its called a power unit, D4600 not a genset 46-30. The gen end was built by Louis Allis of Milwaukee (sp).
    There are numbers on the little exciter motor on top but hard to read.
    Try to post them to.
    Thanks Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images
    193? d4400 cat powerunit
    1950 john deere M

Default D3400 Gen Set

Hi Team,
    here is all I have on these old war horses.
    The data seems to cover ALL current,at the time, Gen Sets.
    Hope this helps,
    Cheers,
    Eddie B.

PS well I'll be , they loaded in the order I selected.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by edb; 10-30-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Add PS

Thank you very much Eddie.
    Your scans answer some of my questions and make me ask some more.
    It seems to me that my genset dosen't have a regulator, good reason I don't have it I guess.
    The engine works great...can I have any hope of the gen end working as well.
    Not sure what I will use it for.
    Depending on how stable the power is it could be a standby for the house or perhaps use it in my sawmill.
    Should be great in the mill.
    Thanks Chris
    PS my pics loaded right too...OM can rest easy now for a bit.
    193? d4400 cat powerunit
    1950 john deere M

A 1S5001 - 1S9999 is a Power Unit described as a "Diesel D4600 Engine and Electric Set". I have the Operators Manual for the unit and will post some info after supper to test the attachment sequencing.

Here are the pages from the Operators Manual:
    Unit can be run with either automatic or manual voltage regulation.

Interesting.....the upload list order was all scrambled but the actual end product comes out in the correct order. Can certainly live with that.
    Last edited by Old Magnet; 10-30-2012 at 10:21 PM.

Default Self Regulating Gen Set

Hi Team,
    never did any Cat Gen Set schooling in my time at The Dealer.
    Did test later gen sets etc, but I only followed instructions from others or The Book.

I stand to be corrected here but, I feel that the name given to these Generators is "Self Regulating" and is an indicator of the reason for no apparent regulator box being evident.

Maybe the exciter feels the load and compensates the output ???????? and/or the regulator is built into the exciter.

The exciter voltage is adsjustable by the Screw "H" shown in page 7 diagram. I am likely wrong--others maybe able to assist.

Hope we both learn something here on the old war horses.

Cheers,
    Eddie B.

Default What I know.....

I didn't reference the "voltage adjust screw" that edb mentions but if it is self regulating. Then when first started the voltage out maybe as high as 245 vac assuming 240 vac output. Then as you load it, it will "droop" down to 240 vac. If the governor is setup decent, it should hold frequency (60.5 - 59.5 hertz). As you load it further, the voltage may drop to as low as 220 vac provided it stays in the frequency limits.
    It should not matter if it is wired 240 single phase or three phase, all generators will "droop" without a voltage regulator of some sort.

I would say that the thing to do now is check the wiring over and megger out the little guy.
    If it all checks out okay I would like to mount the breaker box and switch gear on a panel with plugs on it.
    I could then use it for a genset at the house and then skid it over to my mill.
    Just have a bit of fun with it.
    Run extension cords from it.
    thanks Chris
    193? d4400 cat powerunit
    1950 john deere M

Default D4600, gen set regulation

Hi, I have a (sort of working) "new" 1945 Army surplus 46-38 genset w/ ~15 hours on it. I ran into the same questions relating to the voltage regulation. I found out that Allis generator is a "saturated" field, ie, the exciter puts out its ~32vdc to the field regardless of the voltage output. The only way to 'adjust' the output voltage is to change the pulley size on the exciter (variable sheave?). My set is located ~250' from the house and the voltage drop of 3-5v was annoying. I put a slightly smaller pulley on the exciter with a new belt and some shims under the mount and it works just fine w/ ~120-125vac on the legs of the 3 phase. I only use 2 of the 3, therefore have 220v single phase at 26kW instead of full 38kW. The regulation is quite tight for the state of the art and quite acceptable for all of the electric loads in the house/shop.

I have run into a problem w/ the Woodward governor surging. Started in the last couple of hours of operation. I am looking for some suggestions on where to start, even better: a spare governor" Any of the "mouse milk" oil additives help?

Doc