Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D8800 power unit for sawmill

Default D8800 power unit for sawmill

I recently rescued a D8800 power unit, and have been trying to get it back up in running condition. It had set for many years, but the main engine still turned by hand, so I connected it to a tractors pto and attempted to start it. This was not wise, as the fuel pump and three exhaust valves were stuck solid. I made a new pump shaft on the lathe, freed up the valves, cleaned up the fuel system, and it now starts and runs very well on Three cylinders.
    After further checking, one of the injector pump plungers is rusted beyond repair. Does anyone know where to get a pump plunger assembly? The local Cat dealer could not help, nor could Zimmerman Tractor in Versailles. I also need a complete set of clutch links for it, as they are completely rotted.
    The engines serial number is 2S4102. What year, HP, and engine speed will it be? I hope to connect this engine directly the the sawmill mandrel, if its governed speed is about 875rpm as I have been told.
    Thank you all for the information I have already learned from this site.

Alan

Default d8800

I should still have 4 or 5 new links and maybe 1 small fuel pump

Default D8800

The engines serial number is 2S4102. What year, HP, and engine speed will it be? I hope to connect this engine directly the the sawmill mandrel, if its governed speed is about 875rpm as I have been told.
    Thank you all for the information I have already learned from this site.

D8800
    SN/2S 1 and up. Year, I don’t have the year for this plant.
    Cont. Full load RPMs 1000.
    High Idle 1090
    Brake HP with fan 79
    Brake HP without fan 83.5
    Rack sitting .230
    Gov. Group #9B3658
    Gov. Spring #7B2450

Continuous: “The horsepower and speed capability of the engine which can be utilized without interruption or load cycling. If the engine is equipped for no-stop lube oil filter changes, the engine could run at this setting continuously and obtain good engine life. “

Kelly
    Old Caterpillar Watch Fob.

Without history, a society shares no common memory of where it has been, of what its core values are, or what decisions in the past account for the present circumstances.

The 2Sxxxx series D8800 was produced from 1942 to 1946. As an Industrial unit it had a range of 64 to 98 hp and 750 to 1000 rpm depending on how it was set up.

That's a lot of good info, thank you very much! Sounds like 900 rpm will work ok, and still have plenty of HP.

Alan

central , Maryland ,business located in Wood bine MD . Home and shop ,Taneytown ,MD

900 rpm is too fast for a circular sawmill ,could be dangerous ! .Most all circular saws are hammered for 550 rpms. I run a circular Frick mill at 700 but have an older thick saw blade. I would check to see what rpm your saw blade is hammered for
    My D 333 cat engine is reduced 2 to 1 ratio 1400 engine speed to 700 mandrel speed

Quote Originally Posted by rjh-md View Post
    900 rpm is too fast for a circular sawmill ,could be dangerous ! .Most all circular saws are hammered for 550 rpms. I run a circular Frick mill at 700 but have an older thick saw blade. I would check to see what rpm your saw blade is hammered for
    My D 333 cat engine is reduced 2 to 1 ratio 1400 engine speed to 700 mandrel speed
    The hammering of circular sawmill blades is an art form that has always amazed me.

That D333 would be a perfect sawmill engine, maybe someday I'll find one here in the area.
    I hammer my own saws, and even a few for customers. The saw I am currently using is a 52" F style 7-8 gauge and after hammering some extra tension it works great at its current speed of 835. That sounds very fast, but is only a little over 11000 fpm, which is the perfect rim speed for production sawing. I can also put the 44" saw on. It has been tried, and works well at 900rpm.
    Hammering saws is a lost art. I was forced to learn it when no one else could be found, and have ruined a few in the process.

Alan

central , Maryland ,business located in Wood bine MD . Home and shop ,Taneytown ,MD

I am running a 56" 44 tooth B 9/32 saw on the cat D333 @700 rpm It works well in popular and oak ,and hickory .This engine currently has 40,000 hours on it ,and was inframed 15 yrs ago at approximently 15,000 hours when I took over the mill .
    This engine may out last me! Lest I hope it does !

7602 E. Forest Lks. Dr. Parkville MO 64152

Default Fuel Injection Service

Alan; That sounds like a nice find. If I can be of any help, I rebuild fuel injectors and test pumps for output. I also can dissemble the pumps to reseat the check valves and calibrate the pumps to new specs.
    I know, Caterpillar says "don't do that", but I do and have had good results. On the injectors, I have come up with a way to regrind the tip of he needle valve so that it gets back to a "like new" spray patten. Sometimes the needle will be eroded and the spray hole plugged up.
    Write to me and I'll give you more details and prices. wltrbet@aol.com----------ph. 1 816 891 8654--------- Bill Walter