Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Common Machinery Maintenance

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Common Machinery Maintenance

Upon suggestion from Deas, here is a locale to post detailed maintenance procedures. It will be a stuck thread but open for additions.
    933 42A, D4 7U, 2- D2 5U, 2- D2 4U, PV 15, LaPlante Choate C-20 scraper, and always with an eye out for more

Default Grader Maintenance

933 42A, D4 7U, 2- D2 5U, 2- D2 4U, PV 15, LaPlante Choate C-20 scraper, and always with an eye out for more

Default Thank you.

Hi, B4D2.
    Thank you, Bruce. This facility has been suggested quite a few times in the past as there are new people coming on to ACMOC all the time with similar problems on similar machines and the information is there for all to see in earlier posts, trouble being that the 'newbies' don't know that and it can also be a PITA trolling back through the thousands upon thousands of posts to find what you want.

Next question: Is it possible to have folders - or threads - within a thread for this particular thread so that specific machine-related maintenance information can be placed in the appropriate folder within the thread. F'rinstance, we seem to get a LOT of questions relating to D2's, probably 'cos they are relatively common and cheap to buy, so it would be handy to have a section specifically for D2's. Is that possible?

If the above is possible, it would then be up to anybody who wishes to post such information to find the appropriate place to post it if they want others to be able to find it easily.

Just me musing.
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.

Default A quick question

The past few years we have been discussing a spot here on the Forum to store all the Tech Sheets that our highly experienced, and generous members like "Edb" and "Old Magnet" regularly post for our benefit, and B4D2 indicated a few months back that when the ACMOC computer system got upgraded this year that a proper place would be created, or an attempt would be made where these scans would be stored and easily accessed, such as within a separate "Library", is this the way it is now intended for those scans to be stored from this point on because I was assuming / hoping they would not be buried under or amongst potentially hundreds of pages of chit chat over the next 10-20 years, because those technical questions can and will still be asked in the Discussion section.

We all agree the current Search Function within the Forum can leave us very frustrated even when searching for basic info, it is easy to spend a hour or more looking at 30 pages of old posts and not find the basic info you need, so I was hoping the Caterpillar Tech. Sheet scans might find their own safe spot for members to use, and be possibly stored in folders either by machine such as D2, D3, D4 etc, or by topic, such as "Head Repairs", or "Final Drives", or "Clutches" or "Pilot Motor Carburetors" for example.

From memory I offered to throw some money into a hat to kick start the project and others soon generously followed, as B4D2 had suggested that funding this new "Library" might be a issue within the computer upgrade budget, both financially and with limited Volunteer hours, so I'm just hoping we can do this once and do it right, because I know for a fact guys like "Edb" and "Old Magnet" have far better things to do with their lives than re-post the same Tech Sheet scans every year or 18 months, and I'm extremely worried we have already lost forever a lot of valuable information as older posts including Tech Sheet attachments from Old Magnet and Edb were deleted by them as they exceeded their stored info allowance over the years.
    Regards
    Mike

Default Searches and an indexed filing system.

Hi, Mike Meyer.
    I agree totally with all that you have said. I don't see this particular thread as the be-all-and-end-all of the tech. info. storage that we need on this forum but I do see it as a starting point. Personally, I would like to see this thread indexed by machine model but even that could create a fair bit if extra work for somebody with some computer skills AND some knowledge of the various Cat models. I don't envisage that the indexing would be done by serial number prefixes, only by model designations such as D2, D4, D6, etc..

I do have a fair collection of the tech sheets saved amongst my collection of bits and pieces and can either post them on this thread of send them to Adco for posting where best suited. What I DON'T have is all the wonderful knowledge shared by our resident 'Wise Men Of Caterpillar' and dredging all of that out of the archives would indeed be a daunting task.

BTW, if you care to drop me an e-mail with your snail mail address, I will copy all the information, photos, data, etc., that I currently have onto a remote hard drive and send it to you. If you wish to spring for the cost of the remote hard drive that would be appreciated but not NECESSARY.

With that said, I really think that your post and any responses to it ought to have been under their own thread out on the main BB for ALL to see.

Just my 0.02.

Deas Plant.

Mike, The current merging of databases is underway with our server provider. Also included in the upgrades is a larger server to help accommodate some of the things you have mentioned. Peter also started another thread recently that had some other fine ideas. Once we get the multiple databases sorted out and the new server on line, we should be able to better identify who is a paid ACMOC member and delineate the site to allow for a dedicated archives section (or some other title thereof).

I have also extracted the previous "RD 6" conversation and started a new thread in the "discussion" section, so that info isn't lost or deleted. I will come back later and delete or merge these comments to keep this thread clean and headed in it's intended direction.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by B4D2 View Post
    Mike, The current merging of databases is underway with our server provider. Also included in the upgrades is a larger server to help accommodate some of the things you have mentioned. Peter also started another thread recently that had some other fine ideas. Once we get the multiple databases sorted out and the new server on line, we should be able to better identify who is a paid ACMOC member and delineate the site to allow for a dedicated archives section (or some other title thereof).

I have also extracted the previous "RD 6" conversation and started a new thread in the "discussion" section, so that info isn't lost or deleted. I will come back later and delete or merge these comments to keep this thread clean and headed in it's intended direction.

Thanks.
    The trouble with editing your comment is it shows that everyone has read it. Sorry.

Default DD CCCU repairs

Hi Folks.
    Here is a video clip on YouTube showing some of the ins and outs of working on a Cat rear-mounted DD CCU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG7Yu_qKJRY

Hope this helps.

Deas Plant.

Default Cat D4D break ajusting problems 82J model

Quote Originally Posted by B4D2 View Post
    Upon suggestion from Deas, here is a locale to post detailed maintenance procedures. It will be a stuck thread but open for additions.
    I have a D4D dozer that the breaks are not working are they in fluid or dry. Vin is D4D 82J3323 I have no idea what I am doing I need help in finding out what is wrong ?

Thumbs up Master Link Pins

When you need to pull Master Link Pins.
    A trick that seems to work is to remove the cork or broken bolt from the Taper Plug whichever the case maybe(I had both).
    Clean the threads with a bottoming tap.
    Flush with loose juice(I use KROIL).
    Blow it out with air.
    Take your Gas Ax, aim it into the hole of the plug to heat it.
    Squirt loose juice on it to cool it rapidly.
    Use a Socket large enough to sit on the Master Pin.
    Screw a NEW Grade 8 bolt that is long enough to use most of the threads in the hole with a couple of washers into the Plug.
    Turn it out, if it gets tight, hit the wrench with a hammer to help it jar as it turns into the plug.
    Heat around the base of the socket if necessary to expand the Master Pin.

Heating the plug, then rapidly cooling it, makes it shrink, heating the pin with the bolt tension on it expands the hole diameter of the pin.

You can feel it pull up tight, then go a little more you will feel the plug give as it moves.
    I had enough washers on to have at least 60% thread engagement.

This worked for me!