Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Mc's High Output Making a Funny Noise! Turn Up Them Speakers!

Default Mike Mc's High Output Making a Funny Noise! Turn Up Them Speakers!

I've been working the D8 on a side job and it's starting to make some funny noise from my completely rebuild engine (except for injection pump). The heads have been rebuild, injectors, liners, pistons, crank turned. At first it only started making the noise under heavy load. As the hours go by its starting to make it while working at 75%. It's slowly getting worse and worse. It doesn't make the noise when under a light load just only when working it.

Sounds like valve train to me but it does have a minor exhaust leak where the short 3" stack bolts to the exhaust manifold. I would think it would make the noise all the time if that was it.

Sorry for the poor quality video but please take a good listen to the tapping noise and see what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNE2I...ature=youtu.be
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sounds kind of raspy but I can't make out much else in all that noise.

sounds like a noisy lifter or two and a leaking manifold so check valve clearances and fix the gasket and see what changes. Perhaps one or two valves have seated causing excessive tappet clearance

Hi there Mike,

D342's do have a small habit of the cam follower retaining yokes coming loose in the block. They are held in with 2x 3/8 bolts with lock tags. I have seen them come loose and rattle around in the block. They can be seen if you have a keen eye and a good torch by lifting the valve covers and following the push rods down to the cam follower with a log screw driver or piece of rod and see if anything is loose.

Good luck..

Cheers djcat

Don't know about the noise but it looks like you're doing a nice job.
    1962 D4C

I've heard exhaust leaks that make a sound you would swear is a loose valve or injector knock...on the end branch, 1 or 6, it will only spit when that cyl. fires, & only under load.
    That vid reminds me of when my ex-BIL would call me in the middle of the night & hold the phone out the window of his hot-oil truck (Mack) & ask me what that noise was...LOL...after he had been out for about 24 hr. heating frac tanks, he would get kinda weird..start hearing all kinds of things...

check the oil in the injector pump body thing. if the seal leaks the oil in to the engine that will get noisey. the d6 9u known as The Hood has a leaky seal and everyday i top up the injector pump body thing before heading out to pull rail. if i work more then 8 hours i have to top up the injector pump body thing with oil because it gets a little noisey. this works good because i don't have to add oil to the engine because it gets topped up everyday through the leaked oil from the injector pump body thing seal.

the video looks and sounds good, just need a film crew to folow you around like they did with me.

thansk
    KoO
    Published Author
    Cat Trains for ever or until the snow melts

www.kingofobsolete.ca

king, oil level s good in the injection pump.

Next week I will re tighten all the exhaust manifold bolts in case that's what I'm hearing.

The oil girl sure has a sweet rumble with the twin stacks. Every neaghbor around has come to see what the noise was. LoL

Default Improvement.

Hi, DPete.
    There has been a 'slight' improvement in both the quality of Mike's blade work and his attitude toward the HO D8 since he turned the front idler blocks to the 'Low' position back in, I think, 2010. He had it in for pin/bush turning at the time and I noticed in a photo of the beast sitting in the doorway of his workshop that the idlers were in the high position. Those track frames came off a donor 2U that had been a farming tractor all its life.

Just my 0.02.
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.

Deas, I learned how to work the dozer with the idlers in the Ag position while. balancing on the front rollers. Now the idlers are in the doze position I feel like superman!

The 2U is very enjoyable to operate with the CCU rebuilt and everything working correct. I leave it in first gear the whole time and about 7/8 throttle and it sure sounds healthy.

I try not to be hard on it like Deas, LoL
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Df0_RiIx2ZQ&feature=relmfu
    Last edited by Oil Slick; 09-20-2013 at 07:05 PM.