Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D2 Pony start to direct electric start

Default D2 Pony start to direct electric start

I have a D2 5U12093 that I would like to convert to direct electric start.I have taked with the two places listed on the site and nither one has the whole package.Does anyone done this before and what is involved.Thanks.Mike D

To my knowledge, no one makes a complete conversion package. You can get starter conversions ready to go (if you don't care how they fit) or hold out to find an original starter (not recommended). There are also some alternator units ready to go, some crappy, some well built.
    I've long ago lost count on how many D2's, 4's and 6's have been converted.
    You will have to deal with the bellhousing starter hole, battery box and pony motor block off plates, wiring, switches, etc. Glow plug pre-combustion chambers no longer seem to be available. (not always needed)
    All the info you need to convert is on this website. Takes a little studying as there is quite a bit of material. http://img400.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=header4oq.jpg

Default cat 22 starter

That was some great information you gave on D2 conversion, Do you or anyone have information on electric starter for Cat 22?

Hi junkologist (great handle )
    Sorry, can't help you with that one. Never had much exposure other than curiosity for the gas tractors. I'm sure someone on here can advise.

Thx for the reply...I'll keep searching...Got a couple of buddies and we seem to get into lots of "junk", but we are having a blast doing it!! Working on two 22's right now. thx again.

Thanks Old Magnet for the info.I think I will just keep mine as is. the drilling of the hole for the starter is quite a job. We had 2 old Cat 12 graders we did this to but the hole was already there from the factory.thanks again.

I am going to convert older 933 11a machine to electric start. Would this be the same as D2?
    Thanks

Yes, same arrangement as the D2.
    Check and see how much clearance you have to accommodate the later conversion starters with direct mounted solenoids. If it's tight you may have to use an original inertia type starter or make modifications to tuck in the later units.

Default D2 Starter conversion

There is a business here in Oz that sells Elect start conversion kit for D2 to D9. He is a good fellow as well, John Davis. he is located in city of Toowoomba , in Queensland best thing is to talk to him, his business Ph # is, 07 46326424. Of corse you will have to check your time difference and country dial code. He sells a lot of them. I my self would rather , only put elect start on to the pony!!. Regards. Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Magnet View Post
    To my knowledge, no one makes a complete conversion package. You can get starter conversions ready to go (if you don't care how they fit) or hold out to find an original starter (not recommended). There are also some alternator units ready to go, some crappy, some well built.
    I've long ago lost count on how many D2's, 4's and 6's have been converted.
    You will have to deal with the bellhousing starter hole, battery box and pony motor block off plates, wiring, switches, etc. Glow plug pre-combustion chambers no longer seem to be available. (not always needed)
    All the info you need to convert is on this website. Takes a little studying as there is quite a bit of material. http://img400.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=header4oq.jpg
    Hello Old Magnet,
    I want to convert the pony motor on my D2 (5U6310) to electric start. Do you know if that is possible and what is required.