Thread: Engine Info Search D-334 used in GenSet

Default Engine Info Search D-334 used in GenSet

An internet search produces little info, seems to be mostly a Marine Engine, but turns up in a GenSet now and again, which is my interest. Looks to be a 6 cyl from the 1970's. Any input on reliability and specifications would be appreciated. Also, opinions on dollar value.

Default D334 Engine

That was a pretty popular over the road truck engine & was called a 1674 in the truck but was the same basic engine as the D334. They were a pretty reliable engine but was not the HD engine that the 1693 & the 3406 was (is) of 893 cu.in. displacement.As a truck engine they were at 2200 RPMs 270HP and are 4 3/4" bore & 6" stroke with 638 cu.in. displacement, same for the industrial. They were used in other industrial applications for whatever the customer needed it for besides as a Gen. set power plant.Off hand I don,t have the HP ratings for the industrial engines.
    Last edited by SJ; 11-23-2007 at 10:26 AM.

Default D334 engine

SJ has it right again, the D334 was around 270hp as an indutrial engine, I saw a few mounted in crushing and screening plant, 330hp as a high performance marine engine. strangely enough, its sister, the D336 V8 was a 4.5" bore unit.
    Its a money pit if you have any major problems being a twin overhead cam unit, but very reliable if it has not done too many hours and previous spanner monkeys have not done too much damage.

Default D336

Yes there were quite a few of them around here & they also were a truck engine the 1676 & we called them a Clatterpillar as they were a pretty noisy engine with the OHC set up where the D334 - 1674 was a much quieter engine.I had a trucker come in the shop one time with low power in a 1674 & he had stopped cross country about three times to no avail & one dealer even put a new turbo on but didn,t help. He spent about $2,000 & still no power so he told me & the first thing I did was check the air fuel ratio control & sure enough the diaphragm was blown so I put a new one in at the charge of $1.75 at that time & a few minutes work & power was back up to normal on a road test up a mountain grade there by the shop.I had seen dozens of them blown so was almost sure that was his trouble & it was.

Default F/R Controls

We're still getting engineers caught out by bust diaphragms today SJ, we recently had a 3408 engine blowing smoke rings for this reason, work that one out, I'll tell you later..

We also called the D336/1676 a 'Clatterpillar', I arrived fresh on an overseas job with 3 other Cat engineers, going to work in the Land-Rover on the first day, with the Service Manager, we overtook an Oshkosh with the familiar clatter. 'What the *&@$ engine makes that noise?' said my buddy. 'A Caterpillar' replied our service manger!

Default Diaphragms

Catsilver, I made up a simple testing device to check the air ratio units on the truck or tractor just by taking the boost line off & with an air regulator & air supply line would see if it held air or not & if bad it would of course by-pass in it.You could only use the amount of air pressure for whatever the boost was at it,s peak HP & if I rebuilt one I,d check to make sure it was working correctly after I installed it back on the engine if it was in the shop.I also had a unit made up to test them on the bench & used an old bracket from the gov. where the unit bolts to & had a base welded on it so it was self standing.I made up a lot of gadgets to make work a little easier and find problems in a hurry.