Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Registration Requirements!!!

Default Registration Requirements!!!

Change the registration requirements to reflect location as being mandatory. Can't help if location is not known and should not have to question individuals location. About as bad as asking info on a tractor with no s/n.

I agree. Really shouldn't be a secret among folks like this with a common interest.

Yep good call Old Magnet would save the same question time and again

Paul

I too, vote yes for this.
    John Liebermann
    2 9U's, 5J, IHC544, Ford860, (All working farm tractors)
    cojhl2@gmail.com

Default Location.

We have kicked this question around several times. One of the things we try to do here is keep the barriers to participation as low as possible.

There are certain things we need to do to protect the site, such as requiring registration confirmation to weed out most of the spammers and automated ad posters. Beyond that, though, we hope to keep everything as simple as possible.

Certain users don't want to reveal their location. Granted, they can enter anything they want, so if they're at all creative, they can figure out to put in something other than where they actually are, if they're concerned about this.

In the end, we have decided to keep the mandatory entries as minimal as possible and let people fill in what they want. It isn't really too burdensome to point out a missing location if knowing that would be helpful. There is a bit of an advantage also in pointing out that feature occasionally for newer users who may not have noticed that it shows up in the posts.

One of the main ideas with this site is for people to stumble upon it, enjoy the content, eventually participate and hopefully eventually join the Club. Keeping barriers and requirements to a minimum maximizes this possibility.

Pete.

Sounds to me like someone is to lazy to sort it out. Makes it easy to say no location=no help.

Yes I totally agree it should be required!!!
    Best 60
    Cat 60
    Holt 5 ton armored
    Holt 5 ton
    Holt 2 ton early
    holt 2 ton late
    cat 2 ton
    cat ten high
    cat ten wide
    cat ten 2
    fifteen 3
    twenty L 6
    22 3
    28 W
    30 S & PS 6
    6G 30 5
    35 gas 2
    35 D
    40 gas
    40 D
    Diesel 75
    RD 6
    D6 3&6 cyl

Magnet
    Just curious, why did this come up as an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by haberaj View Post
    Magnet
    Just curious, why did this come up as an issue?
    Just tired of wasting my time and seeing others waste their time directing people to resources only to find out they are in a different country or opposite coast. It is really their loss when local folks could respond with direct help or in some cases borrow unique tooling to get the job done. To me it is just a common sense courtesy to at least identify geographically where the requester is located.

Default Another perspective.

I agree, Magnet, that it is courteous to put your location in and I do wish everyone would. I don't think you should feel it is a waste of time to provide that information, though. How many times have we seen a thread grow from one person's problem into a few others with the same question or concern. Just today, I saw a new post on a thread from 2010 because the new poster had a similar problem with his D4D.

Also, look at that Never Saddle a Dead Horse thread. That thread started out as a comment that the original poster probably almost didn't bother to post, something that was common knowledge to him and may have even seemed silly to say. That thread led to lots of education for me, probably saved a life or two, and brought out a bunch of other education and information for all of us.

Don't forget that this forum here is just like they always said back in school "If you have a question, ask it. If you're thinking it, I guarantee ten other people in the room are also." I would bet that those referrals to resources which may end up a dead end for the person they were intended to help almost always end up helping someone else. They also provide some free advertising and promotion for the resource, which is a good thing too.

I don't think any of us can fully appreciate the scope and reach of the discussion here. You, edb, OzDozer, josh, STEPHEN and others who provide the real technical knowledge here really do provide an invaluable service to all of us who use this information and don't have as much to contribute. Sometimes that service is direct, (a question is asked and answered) and sometimes it is indirect (an old answered question is discovered by a non-participant in the discussion, or a lurker is helped).

Another perspective is that forgetting about the true content and intent here, the fundamental purpose of the bulletin board is communication. Pretty much anything that prompts a post or a discussion is a good thing. If the person doesn't list their location, it is a reason for someone to ask, point out the feature, and prompts another few posts. At is most fundamental level, whatever hooks someone in and causes them to make the first post is a good thing. Even better is the thing that causes them to make a second or third post.

Just another way to look at the picture.

Pete.