Thread: Help

Default Help

I have a D4 Caterpillar 7U crawler tractor that I was trying to clear water out of the radiator for winter storage. I have flushed the rad 3 times now and I keep getting oil coming from the drain plug. It also has a slobbering issue, a lot of oil is coming out the exhaust pipe. I was wondering if anyone out there might have seen this before, of have an idea what I can do to repair the problem.

Sounds like an oil cooler/heat exchanger leak. Dandy Dave!
    Most of my Money I spent on Mechanical things, Tools, and Woman, The rest I wasted.

Always remember, These old machines are like a Woman, It is the little things that count.

1940 Cat Model 12 Serial 6M17. Powered with a G4600 Gas Engine. Direct electric start.

Quote Originally Posted by conmanklh View Post
    It also has a slobbering issue, a lot of oil is coming out the exhaust pipe. I was wondering if anyone out there might have seen this before, of have an idea what I can do to repair the problem.
    Most of the time slobbering out the exhaust comes from not being run at the correct temperature and not being worked hard enough. Before you commit to a tear down hook up a good load to it and run the hell out of it for a few hours. My D2 was slobbering when I got it and after hooking to a 14 ft disc and running in 2nd gear in heavy soil for 4 hours it burnt the oul out of the pipe and now runs like it should. Hook up enough to make it work hard.
    1937 Cat #11 tandem auto patrol,diesel, w/plow and wing, 6K506SP, 1937 RD 4 Ag Crawler RD5356, 1939 Cat 22 2F5429, 1952 Model 212 Grader 9T03427, 1953 2U D8 Dozer 2U20751, 1961 922A Rubber Tired Loader, 59A812, LeTouneau LS Cable Scraper, Cat/Lincoln 600 AMP Dual Welder, DW-21 Cat Scraper, DW-10 dump wagon/water wagon

Quote Originally Posted by conmanklh View Post
    I have a D4 Caterpillar 7U crawler tractor that I was trying to clear water out of the radiator for winter storage. I have flushed the rad 3 times now and I keep getting oil coming from the drain plug..
    I am a firm believer in adding antifreeze and keeping the cooling system full--otherwise air gets in and rusts whatever metal it can
    Cat 941B, Cat D2 4U, Cat D3B, Cat D4 7U, Cat D6 9U

Remove the exhaust manifold and check if all ports are oily or is it just one. The oil cooler is an air/oil unit. It is not connected to the radiator. It just sits there as a separate unit using the air stream. If it leaks oil the leak will be external.