Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat 318 Engine w/Direct Electric Start

Default Cat 318 Skid Engine w/Direct Electric Start

Cat 318 skid engine (Serial 345B689) with a direct electric start and has a pre-combustion chamber set-up for glow plugs (but does not have the glow plugs in it, currently plugged but can be put in). Complete as shown, and I do have the electric starter that goes with it. No load Gov. R.P.M. 1900, Full load Gov. R.P.M. 1800. Horse Power Setting, Sea Level 82.5. It is out of a crane. The previous owner said it was running when the crane was scrapped. It has been stored in a box trailer since I bought it.

You can call my cell phone anytime for more pictures, more information, and a price: 937-477-5270. I am located in southwest Ohio. Thanks for your interest. Roger
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rogerjmartin; 12-31-2016 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Add info & pictures

has 1 of those different looking air filters. i'd like 2 find 1 for a d315. good luck with ur sale.
    My engine & tractor video's, thanks 4 looking.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/d4mike01/videos

Stars & Stripes, My only garage and patio art.
    https://youtu.be/sGNjz8iCuc0

What happened to the fuel pump also seen in one of the photos.
    Also just out of curiosity where is the starter.

Hi Andrew,
    The fuel pump was on another engine that was dropped and broken off before I bought it. Here's a few more pictures of the 318 Direct Electric...including pictures of the starter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks.
    Always interesting to look in the background of shed photos to see what else is laying around.

That's some odd ball starter to have the external engagement lever like that. At least that's what it looks like anyway.

Default 318

am looking for a 318 just pooched the one in my 57 d6 what kindof price ya looking for?

That's a 45Bxxxx series Industrial engine. Several differences from the tractor D318. Crankshaft has a snub nose taper that only mounts a v-belt pulley with no woodruff key, not suitable for front #46 Hydraulic Control drive. Basic block is the same but many bolt on's are different.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Magnet View Post
    That's some odd ball starter to have the external engagement lever like that. At least that's what it looks like anyway.
    That was the standard Delco starter in the 1950s prior to the enclosed MT40s. They work jest fine. Should have a rubber boot on the solenoid plunger.
    Cat 12 grader, 8T running and restoring, Cat 12 grader 9K3585. parts machine, Adams leaning wheel Pull grader Mod # 28,

Ok, I vaguely recall that version. The original starter for that engine would have been the early 40MT inertia drive type. Any lever type would have been an improvement.