Thread: Something that worries me

Default Something that worries me

When i bring up the forum , i get a warning icon in the Address bar .
    It tells me this site is not secure , And not to enter email addresses phone numbers credit card details etc .
    Now with the ACMOC store being hacked a while back,I would have thought Security would have been upgraded , for members protection .
    I am a member of a number of forums , and ACMOC forum isn't the only one i get the warning on .. The ones that do , i know have not been updated in a fair while .
    There are a lot of devious hackers out there searching for people to scam ..Why is it that ACMOC forum looks to be making it easier for them to do that to the members here ?
    I did think about it , and thought maybe because it is a public forum that could be the reason .
    So i looked at another forum i know is open to the public. I found it shows that it is secure .

Ian,

I am curious what browser you use to view the forum. I know that a recent update to the browser I have been using lately, Firefox, gives that warning when I sign on the the admin access. Another fact is that I am still using Windows XP (I know I really NEED to update that too) but there are some updates that seem to sometimes bring out "problems" rather than fixing some. This is just my observation.

So, there MAY not be a problem, just a specific version of the browser you are using.
    Walt D7-3T

No longer have my D7-3T. Plan to buy a D8-2U & D8-13A in future.

Now, I no longer have access to the D8-2U and 13A.

Also, I simply LOVE Kitty Cats. Had 19 at one time. Not quite as many now.

Hi Walt , I use Google Chrome , and try to update it regularly . I do have firefox as well and just went there and looked , and yes i do get the same message there . I am using windows 7 .
    As i said some other forums come up with the same warning . But others show as a secure site . If it was a glitch in the browser , i would have thought all forums would show as unsecure .

Default Chrome "Feature".

ianoz, I don't think this has anything to do with the security of the website nor the information in our control.

As I understand it, the message you're seeing is another Google Chrome "Feature". Google wants to monitor what you do with all passwords and usernames. They mainly want to ensure that you don't use the same username and password anywhere else that you use for a Google account, but I believe they also use this information to monitor activities, gather marketing information and for other money making purposes.

Furthering this purpose, within Chrome they implemented a test for any website which was viewed with that software in about January of 2017. Starting about then, any website which contains the interrogation <input type=password> in a non-secure page (which would be denoted by an https address) will trigger the warning you are seeing.

In our case, that interrogation is present in a non-secure environment, because that is what causes the username and password functions to work for us. Since entering the username and password doesn't allow access to any secured or private information on our website, there is no additional risk or security problem.

You probably see different results at different websites because some websites may accomplish the login by a different interrogation, which might not be included in Google's test, or they may provide the interrogation from a secure area of their website.

I wouldn't worry about it, it is just another step in the process of Google knowing everything about you, helping you live your life better and ensuring that you buy your full quota of merchandise from their preferred vendors.

I you'd like to know more about this notice, just Google "Chrome warning that site is not secure and don't enter credit card information." There, now I've drunk the Kool-Aide.

Pete.

Well Some forums do worry about this , and have taken steps to make their forum safe , This was posted on one of the forums i use . I will remove the name of the forum from the copy and paste .
    Greetings all!

Google have sent notice that they will soon be marking websites that ask for passwords over unencrypted connections as insecure*, and the XXXXXX Forums currently fall into that category. The web community is expecting other browsers to follow suit over the next few months/years. So that everyone can continue to easily access the forums no matter your browser, we're migrating over to using HTTPS/SSL instead of plain HTTP.

If all goes well, no one should notice any difference as the change should be transparent to users (unless you're already getting warnings, which should now disappear)

We will however be doing this as a step-by-step migration to allow any issues to be brought to my attention so that they can be mitigated or fixed.