Thread: Heat Houser d8h

Default Heat Houser d8h

Does anyone know where to get a heat Houser for an old caterpillar d8 at? I know there's a company called Birch manufacturing out of Fort Dodge but I've had no luck and getting them to call me back. Is there another source out there for these old caterpillars?

On the 583's 8H,s 9's... We used to have a set of good tarps with twist tabs on the hood and grommets on the tarps. They went on the hood sides over the engine "Side curtains" ... then we made up some rods that inserted to the canopy posts around the operators area and hooked up a tarp around the seat area with bungee cords... all those machines had reversible fans... I can tell you that it could be dam cold "like 15f and on the open station 583's you could run them wearing a short sleeved shirt...If you were working them.. When it got relay cold we would set the brakes,put the transmission "powershift" in 3rd gear and crack the throttle a little... the heat from the floorboards would warm you right up nice and toasty... and we never had any transmission trouble. we never left then in gear for too long though.. But the heat would be great... the cabbed machine had no heaters and we did the same thing on them. I never froze on any of those machines. Some pics that show the "Winter Curtains" look close..... cheap and homemade.

no 4.jpg
    Berwick 4.jpg
    Berwick 1.jpg
    83.jpg

[QUOTE=TimT;196515]On the 583's 8H,s 9's... We used to have a set of good tarps with twist tabs on the hood and grommets on the tarps. They went on the hood sides over the engine "Side curtains" ... then we made up some rods that inserted to the canopy posts around the operators area and hooked up a tarp around the seat area with bungee cords... all those machines had reversible fans... I can tell you that it could be dam cold "like 15f and on the open station 583's you could run them wearing a short sleeved shirt...If you were working them.. When it got relay cold we would set the brakes,put the transmission "powershift" in 3rd gear and crack the throttle a little... the heat from the floorboards would warm you right up nice and toasty... and we never had any transmission trouble. we never left then in gear for too long though.. But the heat would be great... the cabbed machine had no heaters and we did the same thing on them. I never froze on any of those machines. Some pics that show the "Winter Curtains" look close..... cheap and homemade.

Interesting on how you warmed the floor boards. My Ranger log skidder with a Clark power shift transmission states in the operators manual for cold weather warm up. Set parking brake, place transmission in third gear, set throttle at 1/3 to 1/2 speed to apply reasonable torque convertor load, and let run until normal operating temperature is reached.
    1937 Cat #11 tandem auto patrol,diesel, w/plow and wing, 6K506SP, 1937 RD 4 Ag Crawler RD5356, 1939 Cat 22, 1952 Model 212 Grader 9T03427, 1953 2U D8 Dozer 2U20751, 1961 922A Rubber Tired Loader, 59A812, LeTouneau LS Cable Scraper, Cat/Lincoln 600 AMP Dual Welder, DW-21 Cat Scraper

Default Winter work

Heres some from some winter jobs. D7 in 78 blizzard, D4 couple years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I mite have one don't know whats left cleaned shop a year ago don't know if brackets are there. look today Mark

A couple cheap 8x8 tarps and a roll of fence wire will make it as warm as you will ever need. Cover exhaust manifold side first as you will get the most heat from that side. If you need shelter from the wind, saran wrap around the roll cage will work in a pinch. Tarp both sides and you will be toasty warm while working her.

I purchased a couple of tarps, but I did get a hold of Burch. I needed to order it through Ziegler.

I looked all brackets are gone Mark