Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: D2 steering clutch

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck C View Post
    Neil, could you please give me all the part numbers for the clutches and drum and John's contact info. I have been following your thread and the only real problem I had taking my D2 apart was the cap that holds the pivot shaft to the final drive case. Everything came apart fairly easy. I have a friend (retired mechanic) that says he has all the Cat tooling to pull the steering clutch and the outer drum.
    Thanks
    Chuck C
    Better than that Chuck, here's the link to John's D2/933 steering clutch page, which has all the part #s. But I'd recommend just calling him, following up with an email of which parts and qty you need. I picked up both inner and outer hubs, 12 of each disc type, the six pins, 12 keepers, 6 of each spring type, and a brake band. That side of my D2 had filled with water.... The other side doesn't appear to have so hopefully when I pull that apart, I won't have to replace as many parts

http://www.tpaktopc.net/d2strcltch.htm
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Here's what I was up against - my inner hub turned inside the outer, even with all the plates frozen, because the outer teeth had worn right through the splines. I suspect that's why the previous owner parked it up - went round in left circles only:

IMG_4707.jpg

IMG_4708.jpg
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Oh I think a little welding and filing and you could reuse those. no? lol

Thanks Neil, tomorrow I pick up the tooling to remove the clutch and drum. The problem I see is the drum has 3 big holes in it but no threaded holes to attach a puller to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Clean the dust out, then scrape around with a piece of wire.
    The holes are there!

Hi Chuck, the holes are in line with the dowel pin for the lock bolt washer - 1/2-13 I think. You'll want to run your tap up them for sure
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Default Puller Holes?

I think I can see in your picture two puller holes, which should be threaded. I believe they're at about 2 o'clock and 8 o'clock in your pictures. That's where they should be anyway.

Pete.

Default D-2 steering clutches

Neil, thanks for posting General gear website for steering clutch parts, I think I will need some parts for a D2 5J I am working on.
    D4D D65R D73T 933C HT4 955H Gardner Denver comp.318 Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Garlic Pete View Post
    I think I can see in your picture two puller holes, which should be threaded. I believe they're at about 2 o'clock and 8 o'clock in your pictures. That's where they should be anyway.

Pete.
    Is that Pacific time or Eastern? ha, lol

Thank all. I found the holes, ran a tap in them, picked up the tooling and removed the drum today. Tomorrow I will try to get the steering clutch off if I don't have to drive the semi for the farmer I work for.
    Thanks
    Chuck C