Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cletrac Overhaul Project Advice

Default Cletrac Overhaul Project Advice

Hello Friends,

I am about to start an overhaul on my 1919 Cletrac W 12-20.

I inherited it from my grandpas collection. Sometime from his death till coming to me, the engine has had hard water in it. the crawler itself, like many, has been used and abused and is wore out.

I found another cletrac that I am going to use as a parts downer. My cletrac was built the first year they made this particular model and has a Weidley engine in it. The cletrac I found also has the weidley engine in it so I got lucky there.

I plan on saving the older dark grey crawler as that was my grandpas and it also still had the original serial number tag where as the light grey one does not.

In this adventure, I would like to overhaul the tracks as long as I have everything off anyways to swap out the sprockets. I have never restored a crawler and have no clue where to start with working on the tracks. do you make your own pins and bushings? if so, out of what material etc??? any help or recomondations on this before I get started would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    AndyIMG_0659.jpg

Default Everything Cletrac.

Hi, Andymoravec.
    You might like to try this site.

http://cletrac.org/

Tell Blake Malkamaki that I sent you. He'll probably launch an intercontinental ballistic missile just to get back at me. LOL. Seriously, I think you will find some helpful people over there.

That said, I don't think too many would mind if you shared your progress here as well. Who knows, there may even be a few people here who can help.

Just my 0.02.
    Last edited by Deas Plant.; 10-18-2017 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Typos.
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.

Default Cletrac

Hi Andy,

My first tractor was a Cletrac so I am very supportive of them. I was shamed into going Cat because of the highly superior clutch and brake steering system, so I went Cat and never went back. Now I am not so sure, I think the tractor I had was to small and underpowered for the work I was asking it to do. I have a 20-C that would make a good parts tractor if it were needed. I still kind of yearn to try a BDH for farming our hill.

Tom
    Last edited by 8C 361; 10-18-2017 at 01:48 PM. Reason: signature

Those early cletracs have beautiful styling, really love the angled hoods,
    D2 5u & 3J
    212 9T
    RD4
    D4 7J & 7U
    R4 4G
    Gas 35's
    Diesel 35
    Diesel 40
    Gas 50's 5A
    Diesel 50 1E1755
    D 8800 power unit 9J 6113SP
    LeTourneau D4 tournapull/Q Carryall
    Letourneau D Carryall's
    LaPlant-Choate CAB-97

A good place to find Cletrac information is here:

http://www.calolivercletrac.org

The Cletrac was made by Cleveland tractor company. The owner of the company was Rollin H. White. The first model they made was the Model R then the model H followed by the W. These are all similar tractors, the models changed as major improvements were made. The best source of manuals parts and information would be Landis Zimmerman of Zimmerman OliverCletrac in Ephrata PA.
    His number is 717 738 2573.

Default First Model Cletrac.

Hi, BobPV15.
    I think you will find that the first model that Cletrac made was model F with the high sprocket and the string of pearls track. The model F was also the smallest model they ever made.

Just my 0.02.

Deas Plant.

Default Models.

The information I had about the Cletrac progression was the same as BobPV15.

I understood that the Model R was first, introduced in 1916 and only produced for about a year.

The Model H followed, about the same rating and design tractor with design improvements, in 1917 produced for a couple of years.

The Model W was next, still about the same rating and design tractor with improvements, in 1919 and continued production for something like a dozen years.

The Model F, I understood, came in 1920 and was a completely different tractor, the smallest made, as you observed and was produced for a couple of years.

It was followed by the Model 20K in 1925 through about 1932 and the Model 15, which came in about 1931.

That's what I understood anyway.

I'm with STEPHEN, I've always thought the early Cletracs were really neat looking tractors. I also thought it was very interesting to follow all the design evolutions of Cletrac through the years. They started out very crude, but will with an interesting attention to detail and styling, then preserved the steeple hood for a while, then went to the quite rounded, finished look, with nifty little leaf like cutouts in the grilles and neat looking lights, through to pretty tough looking, but still refined styling as they progressed into the Oliver relationship.

Pete.

Default 'Kee-wrecked'?

Hi, BobPV15 and Garlic Pete.
    You are both 'kee-wrecked', BUTTT, so am I.

The 'H', 'W' and 'R' models were all built before the Model F. How-wevver, they were all built under the name of the Cleveland Tractor Company and carried the name, 'Cleveland', on the sides of the hood or elsewhere. The Model F was the first model released after the company name was changed to Cletrac and carried the Cletrac name on the side of the hood.

You can read more about it here:

http://www.farmcollector.com/company...ractor-company

The slideshow carries the information about the name change in the caption for the Model F photo, 7th slide in the series, along with a lot of other information about various other models.

Just my 0.02.

Deas Plant.