Thread: Wanted-Engine Barring Tool for 3306 5P-7307

Default Wanted-Engine Barring Tool for 3306 5P-7307

I need to rent or buy an engine barring tool for a 3306 engine to reset the injection pump timing to the engine. The service manual calls out a 5P-7307 tool to be used. I need to remove the starter anyway to replace the solenoid at the same time. This is a tool group made up of 5P-7305 and 5P-7306.
    Thanks
    Last edited by d9gdon; 10-25-2017 at 07:45 AM.

Pricey tooling to buy. Can you not access the front to rotate the engine?

For some reason KoO comes to mind! lol

I'm late coming back to this, but I'm like Rome/KG I think I'll get one of my busted starters and modify like KoO to rotate the engine.

OM, yeah I have rotated the engine before off the front of the engine but when you get close to the timing mark, I always seem to pass it up simply because the engine is passing the compression stroke so it's very hard to stop when you want you. If you miss it then you have to back up at least 60 degrees to start over.

I need to remove the starter anyway to replace the solenoid. Thanks

Well I took one of my burnt up starters and welded a nut on the back end of the shaft and welded the Bendix drive so it would stay locked in, then I hauled it over to the dozer and tried to put it on and realized it had the wrong gear on it after I tried to bolt it up.

So I threw it in the back of the pickup along with my white lab overcoat and dropped the belly pan and dove off into the mud and diesel and turned the engine from the front balancer nut with a socket. Got it done though.

YUP!!! Some days are like that....others are worse.
    As near as I could tell the tooling was going to be about $600-$700 so it ain't all bad.