Thread: My First Antique CAT D4 7U

Default My First Antique CAT D4 7U

Hello Everyone!

I wanted to share some pictures and progress of my first antique CAT, Its a 1949 D4 (serial number 7U5150). When it arrived i was so excited, I felt like a kid at Christmas again...

Currently the tractor is at Wagner Equipment (CO CAT dealer) being completely restored. I have to give a special thank you to Wagner for everything and also to Zimmerman Tractor (MO) for the D4 and some of the parts.

We have found almost everything we need but I am still looking for original lights and a clean glass air cleaner jar if anyone has any leads I would be grateful...

Also i could use some help on trying to find all the decals!!

IMG_1347.jpg

IMG_1380(1).jpg

On my lowboy headed to Wagner Equipment! I think I over-loaded it
    IMG_1475(1).jpg

IMG_1594(1).jpg

IMG_0792(1).jpg

IMG_0791(1).jpg

IMG_0793(1).jpg

Similar to what Im going for:

3729033_1.jpg

Sincerely,
    Shay Stutman
    shay.s@sgearthmoving.co

down load the decal order form on here and they will send you exactly what you need
    Cat 941B, Cat D2 4U, Cat D3B, Cat D4 7U, Cat D6 9U

Thumb Very nice

Welcome and thank you for sharing pics. Nice straight and clean looking 7U. This will probably be number one of many more! Lol. It only took one for me and I was hooked. My CPAs( all female) always used to jump my butt about why I buy so many CATs; I couldn't really explain other than its kind of a "guy" thing; quick on my feet, I had to use the anology that it is similar to women buying clothes and fancy shoes...... They said " Oh! Okay! We get it now!", and never questioned me again. Hahahaha.
    Please continue to share the progression of the rebuild and finished goods please. When done, I can give you my address where to drop off🤗.
    Someone here can lead you to the correct parts you're looking for. As far as decals, just contact one of the fine folks at ACMOC office. They can sell them to you. Btw, if you become a member, you are able to purchase items at "member" pricing.

Good luck on your new toy. Juiceman

did u win the lottery? good luck with ur project
    My engine & tractor video's, thanks 4 looking.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/d4mike01/videos

Stars & Stripes, My only garage and patio art.
    https://youtu.be/sGNjz8iCuc0

Juiceman and dpenzic, thank you both for the tip on the decals I will order them ASAP!!

I have always loved older CAT's and I can see this becoming a problem...

Thank you all for the comments I will keep this post updated. The D4 is scheduled to be completed the Friday before Thanksgiving. I'm pretty excited for it!! We get new equipment fairly often but this old girl was super cool and so different when it showed up!

Very cool sir, looks to be a very clean original straight tractor. Now that you have the yellow bug there is no going back next thing you know you'll have another one for wagner to fix up. Hope it all turns out just like you want. Keep the pics coming.

great restoration as for collecting cats you can not have just 1 they need company and do tend to multiply the lady that owns the farm that i work for, 42 years and on collects the four legged fury critters so i had to have the hard copy version we both went a little crazy on our ventures good luck on finding more
    Best 60
    Cat 60
    Holt 5 ton armored
    Holt 5 ton
    Holt 2 ton early
    holt 2 ton late
    cat 2 ton
    cat ten high
    cat ten wide
    cat ten 2
    fifteen 3
    twenty L 6
    22 3
    28 W
    30 S & PS 6
    6G 30 5
    35 gas 2
    35 D
    40 gas
    40 D
    Diesel 75
    RD 6
    D6 3&6 cyl

Shay,
    Nice tractor. Is it at the Grand Junction shop? I know a couple people who work there...
    I know another guy who might have a precleaner jar. Lights I doubt, but I can ask...
    I am in Fruita, BTW...

thanks for shearing your new toy with us. looks like it is in good hands but your a better man than me if you can stop at just one. keep up the good work

Hi everyone!

Thank you for the comments! I just got back for CAT, the tractor was in the sand blasting booth:

Ronm: Yes the D4 is in GJ

mog5850: Yes, Wagner CAT will do a fantastic job of that I have no doubt. As for this being my first antique CAT, I'm confident it will not be the last, there will be many more to come... I have about 30 newer CAT machines but something about these old CAT's...

IMG_1842.jpg

IMG_1845.jpg

IMG_1847.jpg

IMG_1849.jpg

So.. I have a question about the gauges!!! Wagner can get up-dated CAT gauges no problem but I'm curious to know if there is anywhere where you can get either refurbished or original gauges?! Not that the new ones don't look good but...

We are shooting for having the project complete the Friday before Thanksgiving! ...I cant wait.

Sincerely,
    -SS