Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Big Cats I grew up with.....

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Gowanda NY
    Posts
    57

    Default Big Cats I grew up with.....


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bakersfield CA
    Posts
    1,489

    Default

    Nice fleet Tim. Be careful with that first pic of your KW fleet. Lots of Pete lovers here that are looking to pick on KW drivers LoL

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    72

    Default

    We always said a Peterbilt was just a KW with chrome!! did the KW's have Cat power?? And are those recovery dozers?

    George

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Gowanda NY
    Posts
    57

    Default Yes sir to both

    Quote Originally Posted by trucker1 View Post
    We always said a Peterbilt was just a KW with chrome!! did the KW's have Cat power?? And are those recovery dozers?

    George
    Yes, Those pics were from several years ago when the funeral procession was held for founder of Winters Railroad Service, "now Winters Rigging" Mr Edwin Winter. He was a mentor and friend as well as my employer on and off as I grew up. The company is now in its third generation.. Train Derailment and other emergency work in the northeast, as well as heavy hauling and rigging services. They were one of the first of the contract derailment companies along with Hulcher Services, and also pioneered using sidebooms on train wrecks. Its now the standard machine with most of the derailment services in the US and Canada.http://www.wintersrigging.com/servic...ment-services/

    The trucks are newer now, but were bought as new gliders without engines.. they bought Cat truck engines separately and had them installed. They have always been mainly a Cat powered operation. When I started it was 1693's in lowboys, 1674's in crane trucks, Some Cummins and Detroit's here and there in the oldest trucks, Then they had 3408's and 3406's up until the C-15's and 16's. All W-900's and now T-800's etc. They now have a LOT of iron of all kinds. But the staple machine is still 583s and D8's and 9's. They also use excavators on most wrecks... sorry guys but those are new Komatsu's. Its a business that is very unique to most people... Train Wreck work is very fast paced and can be very difficult/dangerous work. Lots of stories in that operation.Tim.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Estevan sk
    Posts
    872

    Default

    thanks for sharing the pics we all love pics and story's. i think it would be a fun job picking things back up. but very few derail out in the flat prairie.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Moose Lake, MN, USA
    Posts
    2,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mog5858 View Post
    thanks for sharing the pics we all love pics and story's. i think it would be a fun job picking things back up. but very few derail out in the flat prairie.
    Canada has done wonders with upgrading their railroads. Thirty years ago they towed extra engines along on the west coast run because they could not count on making the trip with only the required amount. The tourist train was a great experience in itself if you were in no hurry as you were always waiting for late freighters.
    1937 Cat #11 tandem auto patrol,diesel, w/plow and wing, 6K506SP, 1937 RD 4 Ag Crawler RD5356, 1939 Cat 22, 1952 Model 212 Grader 9T03427, 1953 2U D8 Dozer 2U20751, 1961 922A Rubber Tired Loader, 59A812, LeTouneau LS Cable Scraper, Cat/Lincoln 600 AMP Dual Welder, DW-21 Cat Scraper

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pittsford NY
    Posts
    3,196

    Default

    Speaking of trains needing help, here's a great video of a steam engine, 844, banking a freight that was having issues - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU9uEwSGp9M
    Cheers,
    Neil.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Moose Lake, MN, USA
    Posts
    2,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Speaking of trains needing help, here's a great video of a steam engine, 844, banking a freight that was having issues - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU9uEwSGp9M
    That is a enjoyable video. I think I seen a couple of D-10s on the flat cars at one point.
    1937 Cat #11 tandem auto patrol,diesel, w/plow and wing, 6K506SP, 1937 RD 4 Ag Crawler RD5356, 1939 Cat 22, 1952 Model 212 Grader 9T03427, 1953 2U D8 Dozer 2U20751, 1961 922A Rubber Tired Loader, 59A812, LeTouneau LS Cable Scraper, Cat/Lincoln 600 AMP Dual Welder, DW-21 Cat Scraper

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bakersfield, California
    Posts
    2,255

    Default Great Photos.

    Thanks for posting those, Tim.

    I just love those wrecker sidebooms. They take the front bumper of your 36A to the next level, equipment hung all over them, huge sheave blocks on the front, one with hook one with eye, even red ice tongs hung on the equipment rack on the radiator. Just ready for anything!

    That is a really neat outfit. It must have been fun to be a part of all that activity. Lots of urgency, creativity and just get the job done.

    Would love to see more images and hear more stories.

    Pete.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Gowanda NY
    Posts
    57

    Default Sure Pete, Here are a few old pics...

    Quote Originally Posted by Garlic Pete View Post
    Thanks for posting those, Tim.

    I just love those wrecker sidebooms. They take the front bumper of your 36A to the next level, equipment hung all over them, huge sheave blocks on the front, one with hook one with eye, even red ice tongs hung on the equipment rack on the radiator. Just ready for anything!

    That is a really neat outfit. It must have been fun to be a part of all that activity. Lots of urgency, creativity and just get the job done.

    Would love to see more images and hear more stories.

    Pete.
    These pics will give an idea of the work... For me my heyday on train wreck was before the digital age, but I still have scanned old pics I took and other guys took. I have hundreds of them, going way back. But here are some samples....Various jobs over the years.

    bakery job 3.jpg
    Berwick PA Slurry.jpg
    Berwick slurry job1.jpg
    Erie Three Trains 1.jpg
    Lake Ontario 3.jpg
    long pull.jpg
    scan0001 (2).jpg
    scan0001 (3).jpg
    scan0010.jpg
    Sunset Higgins Cranes.jpg
    Union Road 5.jpg
    Union Road 8.jpg
    wrecking 1.jpg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •