Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 13 Ton lawn ornament

Default 13 Ton lawn ornament

I left my 1948 8U D6 alone over last year. This year, tried to start it; no success. Troubleshooting for a while. I had to replace the starter; New one worked, but would not start the pony. More troubleshooting took place. Eventually excavated through many layers of steel, down to get at the carb; could only pull the float out. Cleaned that out. Pony now will start, but will not get above an idle. As soon as I open the choke, engine dies. I suspect something in the carb parts I could not get to.

So, now I have a dandy lawn ornament, as I have no rational way to get at the rest of the carb. And no way to actually start the engine, otherwise.

Can anyone tell me how to find someone to just remove the D6? I live in the Seattle area. I am selling my property and cannot keep working on Tiny. He has to go. Any help, anyone??

Thank you,
    Roger

Craigs list? And of course an ad on our for sale forum .
    D2 5u & 3J
    212 9T
    RD4
    D4 7J & 7U
    R4 4G
    Gas 35's
    Diesel 35
    Diesel 40
    Gas 50's 5A
    Diesel 50 1E1755
    D 8800 power unit 9J 6113SP
    LeTourneau D4 tournapull/Q Carryall
    Letourneau D Carryall's
    LaPlant-Choate CAB-97

Damn. So far away. To far to road it home.
    1937 Cat #11 tandem auto patrol,diesel, w/plow and wing, 6K506SP, 1937 RD 4 Ag Crawler RD5356, 1939 Cat 22, 1952 Model 212 Grader 9T03427, 1953 2U D8 Dozer 2U20751, 1961 922A Rubber Tired Loader, 59A812, LeTouneau LS Cable Scraper, Cat/Lincoln 600 AMP Dual Welder, DW-21 Cat Scraper

Default Too far away for me too

Would love your tractor in my garden. I already have a selection of 10 different small farm implements adorning my garden of 2 acres!!

Trish

Roger - I will send you a PM.

Default What does it weigh, incuding blade?? Any guesses??

Quote Originally Posted by barnboy View Post
    I left my 1948 8U D6 alone over last year. This year, tried to start it; no success. Troubleshooting for a while. I had to replace the starter; New one worked, but would not start the pony. More troubleshooting took place. Eventually excavated through many layers of steel, down to get at the carb; could only pull the float out. Cleaned that out. Pony now will start, but will not get above an idle. As soon as I open the choke, engine dies. I suspect something in the carb parts I could not get to.

So, now I have a dandy lawn ornament, as I have no rational way to get at the rest of the carb. And no way to actually start the engine, otherwise.

Can anyone tell me how to find someone to just remove the D6? I live in the Seattle area. I am selling my property and cannot keep working on Tiny. He has to go. Any help, anyone??

Thank you,
    Roger
    My next plan is to get it lifted onto a lowboy. So, anyone know what a D6 would weigh, with blade and monster winch. Also, are there any formal attach points for lifting?

Thanks,
    Roger

wouldn't it be much simpler and cheaper to get the carb off and cleaned, fuel lines cleaned, and have the pony start the diesel??
    did you check the fuel flow to the pony?
    Cat 941B, Cat D2 4U, Cat D3B, Cat D4 7U, Cat D6 9U

A bare D6 is is over 9 ton,add a few more. So your 13 ton is real close.

A simpler way would be to pull or winch it on a lowboy. They pull easier than you mite think. I have moved them with a less than 50 hp wheel tractor in my yard. But not up a ramp onto a trailer.
    Last edited by Ray54; 11-11-2017 at 11:09 AM.

Default Tilt Tray.

Hi, Barnboy.
    If you are hellbent on getting rid of it dead rather than doing the work to get it running again, I would suggest that a 4-axle tilt tray truck - twin steer, tandem drive - with a good winch would be able to pick that up and carry it. Certainly, a semi-trailer tilt tray with a good winch would do it.

Just my 0.02.
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.

Get a couple buddys with there 4 wheel drive trucks and pull start it. Pull it a bit with and turn the engine a bit with compression release on to build oil pressure, put the compression on, jerk the throttle all the way when it is spinning and it will probably start. If you dig under the blade and hook on the back side it will lift the blade when you pull. I hope to be out therein the next couple months if you need a hand. Don't know what you time frame is.
    1937 Cat #11 tandem auto patrol,diesel, w/plow and wing, 6K506SP, 1937 RD 4 Ag Crawler RD5356, 1939 Cat 22, 1952 Model 212 Grader 9T03427, 1953 2U D8 Dozer 2U20751, 1961 922A Rubber Tired Loader, 59A812, LeTouneau LS Cable Scraper, Cat/Lincoln 600 AMP Dual Welder, DW-21 Cat Scraper