Thread: Chrome repair, sort of

Default Chrome repair, sort of

Caterpillar 420D hoe/loader had a bad cylinder in the multi purpose bucket. When I went to give the seals the once over I found the rod had a few worm holes in the chrome.
    What I did was to weld it with hastalloy X on 50amps. Then work the weld down with a file doped with tape to limit the cut. After that just working with file, stones, and paper to suit. It's not perfect but it will work a long time, I hope.
    The weld material is fairly soft, but is corrosion proof. Now if the urethane wipers will hold up, the sand & water will stay out & not score the rod any more.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by STEPHEN; 11-01-2017 at 10:46 PM.
    D2 5u & 3J
    212 9T
    RD4
    D4 7J & 7U
    R4 4G
    Gas 35's
    Diesel 35
    Diesel 40
    Gas 50's 5A
    Diesel 50 1E1755
    D 8800 power unit 9J 6113SP
    LeTourneau D4 tournapull/Q Carryall
    Letourneau D Carryall's
    LaPlant-Choate CAB-97

Default Nifty Fix.

I wonder how many people in this throw away world have the knowledge and skills to attempt anything like this, let alone to even conceive that it could and should be done. I think 90% of hydraulics people would just look at that rod and either say nothing, (Let 'em come back for another rebuild later, job security) or be nice and tell the customer "Your rod was damaged so you'll need a new one."

Because you had the knowledge and creativity, you spent a bit of shop time and used some inexpensive supplies, preserved the part and put it back in service, probably nearly as good as new. To me that is the difference between artisanship and parts swapping. The artist uses his knowledge to benefit the world, recognize all the resources available to him and maximize their utility to the world. The parts changer just gets it back up and running, maybe only for the short term, without really looking at the whole picture (red taillight warranty).

Thanks for posting this to make us think, and for being an artist.

Pete.

What is really good is the minimal damage to the chrome by the technique (assume TIG) and the material.
    Nice Job!
    And I would guess it will surprise everyone by how long it does last!

I use epoxy for small repairs like that
    Cat 941B, Cat D2 4U, Cat D3B, Cat D4 7U, Cat D6 9U

i have done it that way too fill with weld and filed down. i just tried some JB weld on a steering cylinder off my S7 Euclid scraper. as it had a long grove in it as the P.O. keep trying to tightening the V packing too get them to seal. can't complane too much as they are the original chrome rod's with the forge eye. so i will let you know next spring how that worked out as i was too slow at fixing it and now are ground is white and hard to try it.

Nice repair!
    Cat 12 grader, 8T running and restoring, Cat 12 grader 9K3585. parts machine, Adams leaning wheel Pull grader Mod # 28,

During WWII Amalgam was a material that was used to repair pitted cylinders. Seabees had some info. on this method.

Nice job on the repair!

Default Shaft Repair.

Great Job STEPHEN , ,like a couple others , I repaired a badly Pitted Water Pump shaft on a R2 . Cleaned shaft Back to Clean Metal .then applied JB Weld with Lathe spinning slowly to keep from Moving off Position till it dried , left for a couple Days and Machined it down close size, then left it for a couple weeks to harden ,then Took it down to Correct size and finished it off with Wet and Dry . That was at least 3 Years ago and no sign of any Problem . LJ

Quote Originally Posted by RPeck View Post
    During WWII Amalgam was a material that was used to repair pitted cylinders. Seabees had some info. on this method.

Nice job on the repair!
    Amalgam? Sounds interesting, I will try to look that up. I might still have the USN EO 3&2 course book. The navy had great books.
    D2 5u & 3J
    212 9T
    RD4
    D4 7J & 7U
    R4 4G
    Gas 35's
    Diesel 35
    Diesel 40
    Gas 50's 5A
    Diesel 50 1E1755
    D 8800 power unit 9J 6113SP
    LeTourneau D4 tournapull/Q Carryall
    Letourneau D Carryall's
    LaPlant-Choate CAB-97

"Amalgam" A mixture of silver, tin, copper bonded together with 50% mercury, otherwise known as silver dental fillings.