Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D7 7m engine oil loss

Confused D7 7m engine oil loss

I have a D7 that I operated this weekend at the 100+ Years of Progress show. After operating for a few hours Saturday and shut down I checked the oil Sunday and the pony engine was way overfull and the big engine was bad low I drained the pony down and added oil to the big engine and it did the same thing again. How can the diesel engine oil get into the pony and overfill it by more than a gallon? Also the pony clutch housing is dry so it'snot coming from the main clutch housing. So the rear main seal has not failed.

Not familiar with that block, but, with the pony removed is there a small access plate on the diesel engine skirt? Loose or missing bolts there would explain it
    D2 5u & 3J
    212 9T
    RD4
    D4 7J & 7U
    R4 4G
    Gas 35's
    Diesel 35
    Diesel 40
    Gas 50's 5A
    Diesel 50 1E1755
    D 8800 power unit 9J 6113SP
    LeTourneau D4 tournapull/Q Carryall
    Letourneau D Carryall's
    LaPlant-Choate CAB-97

Default 17a.

Our turbocharged 17A has the system where the pony shares the engine oil with the main. On that system, the pony doesn't have a dipstick, so I assume since you knew your pony was overfull, you probably don't have that common fuel system.

If you do, though, this might apply.

On the 17A the pony oil is supplied by a small 1/4" diameter copper tube which feeds through an orfice in the large oil supply from the main block to the oil cooler, which on a 17A is right above and forward of the pony on the same side. The pony oil drain is about a 1" round hole inside the rear pony support casting down at the bottom of the pony and attached to the main engine just above the block skirt where the oil pan bolts. The pony is constantly supplied new oil from the main engine, which drains down into the pony sump and overflows into the 1" drain, then down into the main engine oil sump.

If your pony has this shared oil system and sludge or debris blocked the pony drain hole, your symptoms would result. Slowly, over time, the pony would fill with the oil out of the main and the main sump oil level would decrease.

Not sure if this is helpful or applicable, but I could see how your symptoms could happen with the design in our 17A.

Pete.

I don't know the book doesn't show anything except that the pony block goes against the main case to have the back section of the pony.

My engine appears to be completely self contained and does have a separate dip stick. That is why I am puzzled by it. If it was like your 17A I could sorta understand. Aaron

Have you ever had the pony motor off? That shared wall is where the patch goes if either the main or pony throws a rod.

Confused

maybe gas leaking into the pony crankcase , diesel some other issue ?

Confused

maybe gas leaking into pony crankcase , diesel some other issue ?

I have not pulled the pony engine off to see if the is a patch behind it in the main block. It is not gas getting into the engine also.

I can't think of any other way oil could transfer other than through the pony transmission coming from the main flywheel housing but you state the pony clutch housing is dry so that kills that route.