Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: An Auction for the Rest of Us (Off Topic).

Paso Bob,

I donít know the difference between an HD14 and HD16 but these guys could help you out. Thanks.

Bryan

http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/c...nt_forum3.html

Default Site.

Thanks for that website, Bryan. I have posted a copy of our story over there. I'm sure those guys will enjoy it too and hopefully they'll give us some help,

I already learned by reading over there that the "C" in HD-16AC in the serial number I saw indicates that it is a torque converter machine. This explains why when I first started it and engaged the clutch it didn't want to move really well, but did so afterwards. It is a bonus that it's a torque converter machine, that should make it even Pushy - er.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Garlic Pete View Post
    I already learned by reading over there that the "C" in HD-16AC in the serial number I saw indicates that it is a torque converter machine. This explains why when I first started it and engaged the clutch it didn't want to move really well, but did so afterwards. It is a bonus that it's a torque converter machine, that should make it even Pushy - er.

Pete.
    That may be one of the first dozers that used a torque converter.

I always thought the HD-19 was the model with the 6-71, & the 16 had an AC/Buda. I know when I was a kid the county redid the road by the ranch, & they had 3 pull scrapers on the job. A D7 Cat, a TD-18 IH, & a HD-19...I guess the county tried to spread the wealth among all the dealers...anyway, I had never seen a screamin' Jimmy before, & wondered why the AC sounded like it was going so much faster than the others, but it wasn't...
    I know the HD-20 had a 6-110 Detroit, & the HD-21 had an 844 Buda, I did an inframe on one of them my cousin had.

thanks for taking us along with you on your trip. we will have to wait till spring for any auctions around hear. i really enjoy the social side of a auction sale even if you don't buy anything. your buys where very good keep up the good work.

Default Outstanding!

Skinner - That is just great! That is, without a doubt, the nicest Twenty I've seen. Really great that everything works on it.

mg5858 - Thanks, I also think the social part is just about as good as a good find. Neat to see what everyone else has, and neat to see what everyone else thinks it is worth.

Pete.

Default Wow! Great deals

Garlic Pete - you would cry if you saw how much old cable scrapers made at the sales up here. All the local farmers bid them up so high, then they take them home and cut them up to convert them to hydraulic units. Guy like me doesn't have a chance when a Cat 80 goes for $10,000 + Then a year later you will see the same scraper up for sale converted and it will bring $25,000 +

It crazy! Glad you are able to find them at a decent price.

Cheers - I love the auction
    Nate

Default AC Models?

Hi, Folks.
    I am open to 'kee'wreck-shun' on this but, as I understand it, the HD5, HD7, HD9, HD10, HD14, HD15, HD19 and HD20 were all GM-powered. The HD6, HD11, HD16 and HD21 were the replacement models after AC started using Buda diesels instead of 'screamin' jimmys' and, I think, even before they bought Buda out and started calling them Allis Chalmers diesels. Also, and again as I understand it, some AC crawlers had the option of direct drive or torque converter with the GM engines but I have not seen any evidence of any of them being powershift prior to them starting to use the Buda diesels. I have seen some powershift models that were labelled 'EP' after the model designation, i.e.,HD11EP, HD16EP, HD21EP.

Hi, Garlic Pete.
    Thanks for taking us along for the ride. Looks like a fun time was had by all. How-wevver, if'n yer want a SERIOUS AC wheel dozer, try to find yerself wunna these.

AC 555 articulated twin-powered wheel dozer_1L.jpgAC 555 wheel dozer capture Earthmover Encyclopedia - 2017-11-10_9-45-25.jpg

Just my 0.02.
    Last edited by Deas Plant.; 11-11-2017 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Additional information
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.

Default Pete is a master of Jimmy diesels

Pete knew just what to do on freeing up injectors and rack. He pointed tractor in a safe direction away from everything and gave it a little push about 4ft. And it fired up. Hats off to you Pete great job. BILL....