Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: An Auction for the Rest of Us (Off Topic).

A lot of nice stuff,good job Garlic clan. Rustoholic's are all happy more was saved.

A question on the track dozer,is it maybe a HD 15 rather than a 16? Never been up close with a 15,or a early 16. But my understanding is when Allis Chalmers went to Buda engines the rest stayed the same except for gearing to go along with the differing engine RPM,but the model numbering was changed. So I guess would not be hard to go back to GM 2 stroke. Just has me wondering,as there is some orange showing.

The Pete looks like its in a mine tunnel. lol

Default Thanks!

TOGNOT - I thought that was a good title, too. We all have treasures, no matter in what price range they fall.

Paso Bob - I was a little apprehensive when first looking at it. It was pretty sunk into the ground and a friend of the family reported he had driven it in there over ten years ago. I almost just pushed it on the truck. We had some time though, it did have batteries in the boxes still hooked up which looked like they were new when it was parked (and also big, long curtains of bee colonies, no bees though). Ray and I decided to try filling it with water. No leaks, so might as well give it a shot.

The entire crowd was shocked when it started so quickly and ran so well. It is a direct drive, and when I first tried engaging the clutch it slipped and would hardly move the machine. I thought it needed to be adjusted, but left it idling in neutral with the clutch engaged for a while as we attended to some other stuff. When I came back, the clutch worked just fine and did so the rest of the day. I assume it must be an oil clutch and maybe it just needed to warm up, and get things moving. I normally expect clutches to get worse as they warm up, but I'll take this result for now.

I was even more surprised when we fiddled with the front cable control and it lifted and lowered the blade properly. I usually find the brake or clutch pads stuck or causing trouble after sitting for so long, especially in a damp environment, but this one worked perfectly. The rears also work as they should, although we didn't put a load on them.

Those Garwood units are neat because everything is out where you can see it. The center hubs with the holes in them spin continuously. You can see the clutch pads and brake bands. When you actuate the drum, the outer rings with holes in them rotate with the inner hubs. Not very OSHA approved, but neat to see while the tractor is operating.

It was definitely a fun couple of days.

Skinner - We were glad to help out and it is always fun to see you and Mrs. Skinner. I think you probably got a few of the buys of the day. That Twenty is as nice as they come.

chriscokid - There is nothing better than a good auction where you get to bring home some good toys at a reasonable price. Fun to see lots of friends and friendly faces there, too.

Steve A - The Detroit is one thing. I figured that tire was a lost cause. It took a lot of work and field engineering and thinking, but we got it done. Billy reported last night when he got home that all four tires are still up, so we might be O. K.

8C 361 - Thanks! There were definitely some very nice Cats there, but I surveyed the crowd and there were too many familiar faces with bigger wallets than mine. You have to know your limitations. The other real highlight was that Adams pull grader. That was probably nicest, unmolested, unbent, unwelded upon example I've seen. I would love to have gotten it, but at $2,700.00 it was just outside my budget. I hope whoever got it recognizes and appreciates what they have. I think the rear axle is ten feet wide, so moving it will be an exercise if they don't have outriggers!

Neil - I'll keep my eye out for another flat belt pump for you. That sounds like a good plan. You'll need a bigger pump to go with your 36A though, when you get it!

ronm - Garlic rule number one - Never go hungry! We may have lots of other problems, but we never miss a meal and we never run out of food.

Ray54 - I really don't know for sure. I don't know much about Allis Chalmers stuff and will probably be back here with questions soon. I did see the serial number plate on the back of the dash just above the floorboards and I though the number started with HD16A, so I assumed it was an HD-16A. I meant to take a picture of it to ask for confirmation, but I forgot. We'll probably get up to Billy's after Thanksgiving to bring everything home and I'll get more pictures then and be back here with questions.

Rome K/G - I though the same thing. We were in Billy's shop, which is behind me in the picture, fixing Garlic Mom's umbrella. When I turned around and saw that, I had to snap the picture.

Pete.

What? Not even a picture of the pristine Adams pull grader?
    Cat 12 grader, 8T running and restoring, Cat 12 grader 9K3585. parts machine, Adams leaning wheel Pull grader Mod # 28,

Default Adams Grader.

oldbeek - Sorry, I guess my only excuse is I was so enamored by the condition that I didn't take a single photo. The below is from the auction website (hewlettsauction.com), but doesn't show it very well.

Maybe someone who was there got a photo or knows the winning bidder and could roust up some photos or information.

Pete.

Man, if they made belt pulleys for 36As, I'm not sure I'd be able to contain myself....that's what, about 10 v belts? I know a flat belt wouldn't come close for 280hp
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Terrific day for sure, you guys have great adventures. Neat treasures too. Iím looking forward to seeing progress on the AC wheel dozer.

Thanks for the pictures

Bruce
    Two Ton, Diesel 40, No.11 AutoPatrol , 4G D4, 9U D6, 44A D6B, 17R D6C, 9G D7, 7M D7

Good story as usual Pete. The AC fan in me is extremely jealous of the Allis wheel dozer. Thanks for the pictures.

Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Garlic Pete View Post
    oldbeek - Sorry, I guess my only excuse is I was so enamored by the condition that I didn't take a single photo. The below is from the auction website (hewlettsauction.com), but doesn't show it very well.

Maybe someone who was there got a photo or knows the winning bidder and could roust up some photos or information.

Pete.
    That is complete. Front draw bar and scarifiers. Nice.
    Cat 12 grader, 8T running and restoring, Cat 12 grader 9K3585. parts machine, Adams leaning wheel Pull grader Mod # 28,

Does anyone know the difference between the HD-14 and the HD-16? Ray54's uncle had a HD-14 with a 671 in it and it sounds like the HD-16 has the same engine. The 16 appears to be heavier. The 14 he had was a hydraulic dozer and had a torque converter with a direct drive, kind of like a 15A. In the early '60's my dad hired Ray's uncle who did a lot of work with 14...and he did a lot of work on it too. The finals were the weak point.
    D-4 7U-43159 with 4S dozer and Cat 40 scraper, D-7 3T-1179 with Cat 7S hydraulic dozer, D-7 17A-3128, D-7 17A 13,944, D-8 14A-1160 with Cat 8S cable dozer, Cat 12-99E-4433 Grader. All runners and users.