Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New - Second/Third-hand - Acquisition For Chapter 18.

Default New - Second/Third-hand - Acquisition For Chapter 18.

Hi, Folks.
    Chapter 18 has a new - second/third-hand - acquisition. The chapter as a whole is now the proud owner of a Caterpillar D348 generator set, mounted on its own trailer - see photos attached.

Lance Jones first heard about it via a phone call from a gentleman who had read about Chapter 18 in an article in the DowNunda TOMM publication - The Old Machinery Magazine - and knew of this gen set and knew that it would otherwise likely go to scrap. This gentleman, a fellow collector but mostly of 'red stuff', didn't want to see it scrapped if a good home could be found for it. Arrangements were made to inspect it and Lance, Dean Goddard and I went down to check it out. Some sordid financial discussions were engaged in and we all thought it was well worth the chapter purchasing it at the figure mentioned.

A motion to purchase was submitted at a chapter meeting at a local show a week later and was passed by a good majority. A tender was then submitted to the owners and was accepted a couple of days later. The 'shekels' have been sent and we have now but to arrange collection of our new toy.

Can anybody tell me if an F350 dually and a 10,000# gooseneck trailer will handle this? LOL It probably tips the scales at somewhere slightly North of about 22,000# with the trailer under it. I'm told the D348 engine alone is around 7,700 Kg or around 16,000#.

It is planned to have a working day on a date to be fixed to go over this new toy, check it all out, and try to get it running. We were assured by the previous owner that it was 'running when parked' about 5 years ago. The engine turns - relatively - freely for a 700 hp V12 - if you happen to have a 3-foot Stillson handy to latch onto the fan drive extension on the front of the crankshaft. It does need a fuel tank and, thanks to Lance Jones, the chapter has a couple of options there. The unit appears to be pretty much all there - except for the tachometer and we will need to either find a tachometer for it or find a suitable cap for that opening.

It also currently has a couple of 415-volt flame-proof 3-phase electrical outlets as per mine specifications. It may well be fitted with standard 415-volt 3-phase outlets plus perhaps a couple of (DowNunda) standard 240-volt outlets so that we can boil a jug and sell cups of tea or coffee AT COST - - - - considering transport, fuel and maintenance costs plus water, tea, coffee, sugar, milk,etc., probably about $15.00 to $25.00 a cup. LOL.

The beast came from a closed down Magnesite mine in Central New South Wales - otherwise known as 'Mexico' around where I live in Queensland (Poaching???????) - and was used to power the underground workings of the mine. It apparently was never taken underground itself but provided power from a base at the tunnel portal.

A chapter member has graciously offered to shed it for us. We'll just hafta keep a good check on the hour meter. LOL.

One or another of us will keep 'yuz'all' posted on further developments.

Wait a moment! Did I hear somebody asking how much it cost the chapter? Oh, that was you over there, was it? Wanna know all the gory details, huh? Better get yourself sat down then. It cost $1,800 plus $180.00 federal government goods and services tax - - - - Total - $1,980.00

'Das pict-yuers':

Cat D348 gen set_1J_DP.jpgCat D348 gen set_1F_DP.jpgCat D348 gen set_1C_DP.jpgCat D348 gen set_1A_DP.jpgCat D348 gen set_1G_DP.jpg

Happy now?

Just my 0.02.
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.

Good Job to all involved!!

Can't wait till ya saddle up the 700 horses and give em a run.
    Should be able to run a couple of wipper snipers with that. LOL
    Hope ya got BIG jerry can.

Cheers djcat

Good for you guys and a good price. That might be 10% of what it sold for when it was new? That is a big feller.

That 415 volts is awful curious to me. Not that I didn't know that you guys ran different voltages, but more like what the history of how ours and other countries wound up with the different voltages. If electricity was discovered by Americans, then why the voltage difference? Off on a tangent, I guess.

you are kidding about towing it with f350? thats well over its rating. look at drivers door jamb 2 see ratings. great project!
    My engine & tractor video's, thanks 4 looking.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/d4mike01/videos

Stars & Stripes, My only garage and patio art.
    https://youtu.be/sGNjz8iCuc0

Tow it home behind a tractor as a farm implement?
    Don, voltage differences probably due to Oz being part of the British Empire. The bit I haven't yet been educated on it's why 415 specifically, vs say 480 (e.g. double the house voltage of 240). I suspect the 415 might be for the same reason that we have 208 here in addition to 120 and 240.
    Perhaps cc can weigh in.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

That model engine was put in the first D10's and was used in the early 992 wheel loaders.

Default Poaching!

Well, we in New South Wales don't really mind Ch 18 getting the gen set as our chapter 28 has just had the go ahead to start and we would rather you guys get it as to the alternative, that is, go to scrap. So to all you in NSW, please contact Trish 0428 533 841 or 02 65436203 if you would like to join our chapter 28 Mid North Coast Vintage Crawlers and I will put your name and contact details on my list and will let you know when and where we are going to hold our first meeting to get things started. This chapter will cover a fairly large area as we have another chapter forming in South East NSW as well.

Trish

Forgot my email, trishpwalker@gmail.com
    Trish

Default Saving It.

Hi, Trish walker.
    Congratulations on getting the go-ahead for your chapter. I hope it all goes well and thank you for your support of our chapter in the past.

I think Lance only wanted it 'cos he likes his cups of tea and needed some way to boil the billy. He certainly looked at me a bit strange when I suggested that this might be a slight case of overkill.

Hi, Ag-mike.
    Did you not notice the "LOL" that I put after the 'kwestyun'? It was just a gentle 'fun-poke' at some of the loads that I have seen hauled on your side of the puddle.

Just my 0.02.
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.

Quote Originally Posted by Deas Plant. View Post
    Hi, Ag-mike.
    Did you not notice the "LOL" that I put after the 'kwestyun'? It was just a gentle 'fun-poke' at some of the loads that I have seen hauled on your side of the puddle.

Just my 0.02.
    i seed it.. but had to say sumthing, it was beyond belief even 4 this side of the pond. what year about would it be? good luck wither project!
    My engine & tractor video's, thanks 4 looking.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/d4mike01/videos

Stars & Stripes, My only garage and patio art.
    https://youtu.be/sGNjz8iCuc0