Thread: Starting Engine Clutch Slip

Default Starting Engine Clutch Slip

The clutch on my Diesel 50 starting engine seems to go over center too far and allows the clutch to slip under load. I can push and hold the clutch lever back until the clutch gets to a tight spot and will hold fairly well but that's not a good way to do it. If I tighten the clutch to the point it will hold normally, it goes over center so hard I'm afraid of breaking something and would probably have to put a cheater pipe on the clutch lever to engage it. Not good at all. Is there an adjustment to fix that or is it a worn out component giving the problem. Thanks for any help. Dave

Those symptoms sound just like what my RD6 was doing when the clutch facings came loose from the center disc, if I was near my computer I could post pics of what I found. I was able to get new facings made and had them re-riveted to the original center disc.
    D2 5J2115SP
    D2 5U7066
    RD6 2H1768
    RD6 2H3072
    No.9 Auto Patrol 8A331
    No.9 Auto Patrol 8A539
    Ten PT3037
    Twenty PL134 (Yard-Art)
    Minneapolis-Moline prototype crawler X253
    1945 Farmall H

Default Adjustment.

It sounds like you know how to adjust it, since you have one condition where it slips and another where it doesn't slip, but is difficult to snap over center.

I think you don't have a problem, you're just right at that magic point in the wear that one notch tighter is a bit too tight and one notch looser is a bit too loose. In your situation, I think I'd use it on the loose notch for a while.

Doing so will probably cause some accelerated wear because inevitably you'll have some clutch slippage every time you start. While you'd like to avoid any accelerated wear, in this case, it'll take a few ten thousands extra off the clutch lining and eventually will allow you to use that next adjustment notch without making it impossible to snap over center.

As soon as that happens, adjust that clutch one more notch tighter and you'll be ready to go. For its age and the likely amount of use you'll put the machine to, the short period of accelerated lining wear probably won't make much difference in the overall life of the starting engine clutch.

Just my thoughts,

Pete.

Default RD6 Clutch Facing

Thanks for the reply. Did you have to take the starting engine off the Diesel engine to fix the clutch. Hope I don't have to do that. I'm going to try Pete's idea first.

Dave, you didn't say that you are only adjusting one hole between too loose & top tight. How about adjusting slowly until you get the over center adjustment you can live with, and then ignoring any extra slack? I'm thinking there is something past worn there, and you do have to pull the pony to work that angle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by STEPHEN; 11-09-2017 at 02:20 PM.
    D2 5u & 3J
    212 9T
    RD4
    D4 7J & 7U
    R4 4G
    Gas 35's
    Diesel 35
    Diesel 40
    Gas 50's 5A
    Diesel 50 1E1755
    D 8800 power unit 9J 6113SP
    LeTourneau D4 tournapull/Q Carryall
    Letourneau D Carryall's
    LaPlant-Choate CAB-97

Here are a few of the photos of the clutch disc failure I had on my RD6, should be almost an identical setup to your D50. I had a good over-center snap on the clutch lever but it would slip badly while driving the diesel under full compression unless I held additional force on the clutch lever by hand, then it would at least spin the diesel until I took my hand off the lever. The first thing I tried was adjusting the clutch tighter but the next available hole made it so tight that it was impossible to snap it over center by hand, but again holding lots of pressure on the lever made it possible to spin the engine but I didn't want to have to operate it like that. So I removed the starting engine and clutch assembly and found that the clutch frictions had come loose from the rivets that were supposed to be holding them to the center steel disc. It seems that the pressure exerted on the loose disc pieces by the over-center pressure plate was not enough to transmit the power without them slipping against themselves without additional force being manually applied through the hand lever. Even at that point, I believe there was still some slippage happening. Of course, try all possible adjustments before tearing into it, hopefully it'll be something simple that solves your problem. If not, these pics may be of some help -

First pic, damaged clutch disc with the loose frictions sitting next to a freshly re-lined one.
    Second pic, re-lined disc with all clutch components ready for reassembly.
    Third pic, fully assembled clutch ready to be bolted up to the starting engine again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    D2 5J2115SP
    D2 5U7066
    RD6 2H1768
    RD6 2H3072
    No.9 Auto Patrol 8A331
    No.9 Auto Patrol 8A539
    Ten PT3037
    Twenty PL134 (Yard-Art)
    Minneapolis-Moline prototype crawler X253
    1945 Farmall H

7602 E. Forest Lks. Dr. Parkville MO 64152

Default Chapter One's RD 6

Our SE clutch acts the same way. My thoughts are that the cams are wore. If one would reface each one on a rocker arm attachment to a valve grinder, this would fix the problem,or install a new set of cams,
    (if available)