Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 69

Thread: Reviving another old relic - D9G

  1. #51
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Torque converter done. All looks good but did all the bearings and seals anyway.

    Trans out. Think we found our broken gear. in the transfer/output case
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Misterskill; 07-13-2019 at 06:30 AM.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Alright, any tips on how to get this plate off? Book says to take the weight with the hoist and pry it out. Problem being the drive gear on the back of the bevel gear fouls on the housing. We think this causes the back (well front of the tractor) bearing to not clear the race. Should this be a really difficult job? lol

    20190714_183803.jpg


    20190714_192544.jpg


    Our broken gears are in there so I'm wondering if it may be damaged and we might just attack it from the front? Check out all the clutch packs and stuff too then.

    Yes I've tried swearing at it enthusiastically.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Corralitos, Ca.
    Posts
    14,532

    Default

    Service manual shows the transfer gear case cover being lifted from the case. Does show a three point lifting arrangement which I suspect is required to keep things aligned to slip off the input shaft.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Magnet View Post
    Service manual shows the transfer gear case cover being lifted from the case. Does show a three point lifting arrangement which I suspect is required to keep things aligned to slip off the input shaft.
    Yeah, same one we are looking at. Thing just wont come off. Tried to turn it and it's pivoting in the bottom bearing that's still in the housing. Change of attack i think and come in from the front, something isn't right.

    Cheers

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    victoria australia
    Posts
    2,985

    Default Transfer Gear Case Cover

    Hi Team,
    I see you have already removed the 3 large cover dowels.
    The cover, along with the pinion and its drive gear, should lift straight up--the trans. output splined shaft and input transfer gear should remain.
    You may need to keep turning the pinion for the rollers to slide up thru the pinion shaft inner bearing outer race--it is fairly important that the whole cover and pinion needs to be very square to achieve this.

    From memory, there can be an issue with the part number suppression of the outer large pinion bearing race.
    The NPR gives a few machine application options and this decides which new outer race is needed.
    In my day at The Dealer the first machine listed was a Grader and the race here does not use the thrust lip at one end of the race--it is a straight thru bore.
    The lip is what takes the roller end thrust of the pinion in the Reverse travel direction--yes--Cat successfully apply end thrust to these roller bearings in D6,7,8,9 tractors, contrary to popular opinion that roller bearings will not survive when end thrust is applied.

    If the non lipped race is fitted by error it has to be welded to shrink it for removal and so cannot be credited back--lots of $$$'s lost unless you can convince the supplier they erred.
    Have been involved when clients had noise issues with pinion in Reverse after the fact.
    To be honest I do not know how they set the pinion depth--should be held back against the lip with a bolt thru the case cover, when adjusting the tooth back lash with the bevel gear.

    Cheers,
    Eddie B.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edb View Post
    Hi Team,
    I see you have already removed the 3 large cover dowels.
    The cover, along with the pinion and its drive gear, should lift straight up--the trans. output splined shaft and input transfer gear should remain.
    You may need to keep turning the pinion for the rollers to slide up thru the pinion shaft inner bearing outer race--it is fairly important that the whole cover and pinion needs to be very square to achieve this.

    From memory, there can be an issue with the part number suppression of the outer large pinion bearing race.
    The NPR gives a few machine application options and this decides which new outer race is needed.
    In my day at The Dealer the first machine listed was a Grader and the race here does not use the thrust lip at one end of the race--it is a straight thru bore.
    The lip is what takes the roller end thrust of the pinion in the Reverse travel direction--yes--Cat successfully apply end thrust to these roller bearings in D6,7,8,9 tractors, contrary to popular opinion that roller bearings will not survive when end thrust is applied.

    If the non lipped race is fitted by error it has to be welded to shrink it for removal and so cannot be credited back--lots of $$$'s lost unless you can convince the supplier they erred.
    Have been involved when clients had noise issues with pinion in Reverse after the fact.
    To be honest I do not know how they set the pinion depth--should be held back against the lip with a bolt thru the case cover, when adjusting the tooth back lash with the bevel gear.

    Cheers,
    Eddie B.
    That's how i see it in my head, but it wasn't happening so rather then break something we attacked it from the front. That housing smells mighty expensive to replace if i get too violent with it.

    That's awesome to know, i was just starting to look into that race and that will save some head scratching for sure.

    Few more pics. Main case was stuck on tight, scraped the gasket out a bit with a stanley knife, then hammered a few old power hacksaw blades in there, then a very fine wedge.

    we will dismantle it over the next day or 2 and I've got a mate who works for CAT coming up in a few weeks who's going to look over it for me. Then put it all back together and hopefully back in the tractor! O-rings are like wire so it wasn't a complete waste of time pulling it all down even if it all checks out okay.

    20190715_174859.jpg

    20190715_173304.jpg

    Off to the big smoke for a few days next week so hopefully have some rams to pick up and we can get into the Hydraulics in the meantime.

    Thanks guys

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Corralitos, Ca.
    Posts
    14,532

    Default

    Looking at the parts book cross section I don't see any reason it should be that difficult to remove the plate with the bevel pinion. I'm wondering if it is hung up on worn splines??

  8. #58
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Magnet View Post
    Looking at the parts book cross section I don't see any reason it should be that difficult to remove the plate with the bevel pinion. I'm wondering if it is hung up on worn splines??
    Just can't get the gear to clear this tab (photo from the flywheel end), must need a smarter bloke then me lol. Anyway, got it from the top. All needed to come out anyway.

    received_410484253010121.jpg

    20190716_162502.jpg

    Bearing and gasket kit ordered. Cat gear was cheaper then aftermarket so got one genuine new coming and just got to sniff out a new genuine 2m9639 and off we go again (clutches permitting lol)

    Thanks for the help guys. I'll keep you posted.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Corralitos, Ca.
    Posts
    14,532

    Default

    Seems to be a few 2M9639 choices out there.
    I'd consider good used if not new. Not a place I would feel comfortable with an after market unit from the land of almost right.
    https://www.machinerytrader.com/part...pe=starts-with

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    victoria australia
    Posts
    2,985

    Default Transfer Gear Case Tabs

    Hi Team,
    been a long time since a D8-9 trans rebuild but I do not recall the tabs interfering with the passing of the output gear.

    As you suggest, you will need to treat this as if it was a transfer gear case without the removable cover--at some time the removable cover was cast as part of the main transfer case-- and come in from the input end.

    You will need to invert the transfer case, after refitting the cover retaining bolts, onto two or three hard wood blocks spaced close in around the pinion gear to support the cover and drive the pinion out of the small roller race Assembly with a 2" or so piece of shaft and sledge hammer--how we used to do them as the trans was normally in for a full overhaul.

    Scan below from my Oct 1965 Cat P/Shift Transmission School notes.
    Cheers,
    Eddie B.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •