Thread: D4-2T pony motor

Default D4-2T pony motor

My pony motor runs well but leaks like a sift. I have looked all over google trying to find a rebuild kit. Is there someone out there that sells kits for refreshing these or do I order the gaskets through my local Cat dealer?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    My pony motor runs well but leaks like a sift. I have looked all over google trying to find a rebuild kit. Is there someone out there that sells kits for refreshing these or do I order the gaskets through my local Cat dealer?
    No kits. Take it apart, look for needed part numbers from your parts book either online, Florin Tractor, your dealer, or post wants here.
    D2 5u & 3J
    212 9T
    RD4
    D4 7J & 7U
    R4 4G
    Gas 35's
    Diesel 35
    Diesel 40
    Gas 50's 5A
    Diesel 50 1E1755
    Diesel 75
    D 8800 power unit 9J 6113SP
    LeTourneau D4 tournapull/Q Carryall
    Letourneau D Carryall's
    LaPlant-Choate CAB-97

My local cat dealer had all the seals and gaskets for a d2 pony (same engine) price was good

Grab your balancer on the pony motor. Try to lift it up and down. If you feel it move that seal is bad because the bearing is bad behind it. Leaks pretty good from there

And if you don't fix that loose play, the magneto will break so it's good motivation to fix it when identified
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by TOGNOT View Post
    Grab your balancer on the pony motor. Try to lift it up and down. If you feel it move that seal is bad because the bearing is bad behind it. Leaks pretty good from there
    Thanks. All of this is great information. I have already bought My parts book. I was kinda curios as to whether the numbers were still the same after all these years.

Mostly they are. There are some supercessions but your dealer can make the cross-reference if you supply the part # from the catalog
    Cheers,
    Neil.