Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D6C Radiator

Quote Originally Posted by ccjersey View Post
    I think I would just leave well enough alone.

If I did anything it would to put a little oil on that area every now and then to slow down the deterioration. The oil probably will spread upward a little and may collect enough dust that you have to wash more frequently and then reapply oil, collect more dust, and repeat but it is probably better than the alternative.
    This machine will need some restoration type work someday, if I eventually go that route. For now, I have some very small odd jobs for it, I'm trying to stretch out the life of the machine without ruining it and turning it into scrap etc. I'm trying not to be like that Steve guy from some other forums who blew up two engines on his D6C...
    Last edited by ETD66SS; 07-14-2018 at 01:25 PM.

So, after letting the radiator dry from power washing, I noticed the plates on the top and bottom of the core are brass?

This pic is blurry but you can still see that: https://imgur.com/IQCJ4S4

I'm wondering what the tubes are made of? As I'm not sure anymore that they are steel? Only the fins are steel?

Some of the tubes have creases on the leading edges and are bulging out on the sides: https://imgur.com/5dnBVKQ Nor sure how that could happen unless they were damaged when the core was separate from the tanks. I have no idea if this is the original radiator.

No visible leaks, just wondering how much longer this will stand up to the pressure when I'm using the tractor.

put a magnet to the tubes to see if they are steel
    Cat 941B, Cat D2 4U, Cat D3B, Cat D4 7U, Cat D6 9U

Quote Originally Posted by dpendzic View Post
    put a magnet to the tubes to see if they are steel
    Yeah will do that. So far the fins are the only thing that look all corroded and nasty, the tubes look good.