Thread: D7 17a turbo

Default D7 17a turbo

I was looking at a late model D7 17a the other day that the current owner had removed a bad turbo and plated off the opening. He said he could not find any parts or a replacement turbo. His retired mechanic friend had told him it would run fine and that he had run his own 17A for 11 years with the turbo blocked off with no problems. Are there any replacement turbos available or can one make something else work?? Were there more final drive problems on the turbo machines?

I believe we've been through this before and was solved with a 4S9706 T1210 turbo for the D339. Old post price was $1050 plus $325 core charge.

I had a 17A that the turbo went bad on and could not find parts for.Wound up adapting a used one from a D6C to fit,worked fine.

I guess for right now the turbo is just a small problem. Seller had been running the machine a bit and it developed a pretty severe sounding valve train problem. Very nice dozer with an excellent undercarriage. Someone had put all new rollers, front idlers , sprockets and track chain on the machine and they show very little wear. Seller has been offered $4,000 for undercarriage, but would rather not scrap it out. Would sell whole machine for $5,000. I do have another 17A,much older and with a shot undercarriage,but good running engine. I am thinking an engine swap would be a major undertaking and fixing that engine might be another $5,000 gone or more.I would really love to have that machine in good operating condition, but am thinking a wise man would just walk away.

If you don't think you could "swing" a complete engine swap, you might consider swapping the head and turbocharger etc off your tractor with the worn out undercarriage over to the one with the good under carriage. Pull the bad one off first and look at the cylinder wear to see if perhaps a complete engine swap would be better. Good undercarriage for 5000 would be pretty hard to beat plus no installation.
    D2-5J's, D6-9U's, D318 and D333 power units, 12E-99E grader, 922B & 944A wheel loaders, D330C generator set, DW20 water tanker and a bunch of Jersey cows to take care of in my spare time

I'd guess an engine swap would be easier than an undercarriage swap, if all the necessary parts are in hand between the two machines.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Any idea on how much that engine would weigh?