Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D2 pony motor balancer

Quote Originally Posted by TOGNOT View Post
    I made such a puller.... Two long bolts ( about 12" or so) that thread into the balancer. At the "head" end of the bolt a pieces of 1" thick steel about 8" x 2". 2 holes in that plate match the distance between the holes in the balancer. Place a hydraulic Jack ( that will work on its side - some won't ) between the plate and the pony shaft.

On a D6 I did this and had to use a cheater bar on the hydraulic Jack. I covered the entire assembly with a heavy tarp, expecting shrapnel to fly or the Jack to blow. There was a loud bang, but the balancer popped off.

I posted pictures in an old post about this....
    Tognot, thanks for mentioning that post. I took a look at it, I have tried most of what was mentioned. I put the puller under as much pressure as my impact would give it and left it for 24 hours and nothing happened. I put heat to it while under pressure (although not too much ) I think I will try pressure and more heat again this weekend. Now that I understand that heat wont hurt the flywheel. I will have to look but I dont remember seeing holes in the flywheel but then again I wasn't looking for them and they are probably there and using them and a jack will be the next option.

Thanks again

sometime long ago I read that while you have the flywheel under strain to take a hammer and hit it perpendicular to the crankshaft to get it to pop off
    Cat 941B, Cat D2 4U, Cat D3B, Cat D4 7U, Cat D6 9U

I crank my 10t hyd puller up, and then while holding my 20# against one side of the flywheel, tap the other side with my 10#. Specifically that is tapping on the circumference, not the front face
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I crank my 10t hyd puller up, and then while holding my 20# against one side of the flywheel, tap the other side with my 10#. Specifically that is tapping on the circumference, not the front face

I e tried tapping on it but not with two hammers. Ill give that a try thanks