Thread: Hydraulics working slow

Default Hydraulics working slow

Hi I have a 1945 D74T on the reservoir it leaks just a little where the arm on the top rotates, havenít found anything else wrong is there a procedure to bleed the air out or a filter that needs replaced? It raises the blade up but the blade wonít stay up it slowly goes down it will lift the front of the crawler up and hold it for awhile any thoughts are much appreciated thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images

Could be cylinder seals leaking or a poppet valve in one of the cylinder pistons sticking/broken/ leaking. If you can get it warmed up, the leaking cylinder will be warmer than the other, or listen to the cylinders with a stethoscope while they are dropping (with the engine shut down) and you will hear which one is leaking.

Explain futurer, title is hydraulics working slow. Then you go on to describe blade settling as from a leak.

Very common that the control valve would leak on something this old. Generally the leak is inturnal so you will not see oil dripping. But the packing in the cylinders leaking internally is common with age as well.

So back to title has the speed of blade movement also changed? Just trying to understand the problem so we are fixing the part you meant,and not what thought I heard.

howdy neighbor

does the blade go up smooth after sitting or does it seem to hesitate or jerk its way up the first time?

then get smoother the second time around ?

meaning is there some air in there getting displaced
    Cat D47U
    Allis Chalmers HD3
    No more JD 1010, IH T340

Tagging on to this thread, will my D2 hydraulics need to be bled? I replaced everything and the system is bone dry (except I refilled the reservoir obviously...)
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Tagging on to this thread, will my D2 hydraulics need to be bled? I replaced everything and the system is bone dry (except I refilled the reservoir obviously...)
    Simply raise and lower the blade repeatedly until every thing is working correctly.
    You may have to top up the reservoir while doing this .
    Good luck .

Righto - thanks Andrew
    Cheers,
    Neil.

What you described with the blade bleeding down tells me first thing i would do is rebuild the cylinders. This can be done yourself easily. You should have a local seal house that can order you the correct seals. Just pull one of your cylinders apart pull all of the seals and take them to them.
    D7G 92V, D7E 47A, HD11EC and alot of other Ag tractors and Brangus Cattle that keep me busy.