Thread: D82U steering clutches stuck

Default D82U steering clutches stuck

I do not know how much of the long saga folks are interested in. I will be happy to tell all, if prompted.

Short story is that my D82U got dropped off at foot of my steep driveway 15 years ago. Brakes were frozen. Jersey box on front instead of blade. Started backing up the 19%grade, and jumped out of gear...or something, I was not driving. Almost rolled away down the hill, but pperator got it stopped. I dd not want to fool with it until I had time to do it safely.

Jump to today.

Pony starts after a lot of cranking, Diesel starts instantly, sounds great, no smoke to notice....

Main engine clutch will not snap in....I think the splines must be frozen because I cannot get movement between pressure plate and clutch cover, and the adjusting ring does not bottom on the disc that bolts to the pressure plate. I did all the prying and pounding I could through the access hole.

But it moves if I hold the clutch lever hard back, and I have to get it home, so off we went The problem with the brakes was mostly frozen pivots, so I can stop it now.

Going well for about 30 yards until the driveway starts to curve...And I cannot steer it for love or money. Apparently steering clutches will not release. So I had to make a hole in the neighbor's fence to get it off far enough to squeeze past it

I have the books...Any tricks to loosen up steering clutches short of taking everything apart?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Default D8 2u

Just what is a Jersey Box? Never heard of that term before. catskinner

Jersey box is a spreader, a light-duty vee blade with side-walls extending forward to a pair of 10.00-20 pneumatic casters, connected by a cross-bar with steel rollers on it which push the tires of a dumptruck as the dozer spreads the gravel and the truck dumps it into the box. Neater and more controllable, I suppose, than just tailgating the stone.

I'll get pictures next time I go down to work on it...It just came out of the thicket today, where it would have been hard to photograph.

Speaking of the box/blade, it went up but I can't get it to go back down....Is there an adjustment on the CCU for that? I do not think I have a CCU book

Thanks!

Any way you look at it, you are in for some work. The first thing needed is to get it to flat ground. Sometimes you can get lucky and fill the steering compartments part way with diesel and run it back and forth with the brakes held on hard and get the clutch discs warm enough to break free. Some folks have held the steering clutches back and push up against a tree or something really solid the break them free. If that doesn't work, the steering clutches will need to come out.
    D-4 7U-43159 with 4S dozer and Cat 40 scraper, D-7 3T-1179 with Cat 7S hydraulic dozer, D-7 17A 13,944, D-8 14A-1160 with Cat 8S cable dozer, Cat 12-99E-4433 Grader. All runners and users.

Here are some pics of the beast, stranded half in the driveway.D8 rear 14 10 18.jpgD8 first move left side 14 10 18.jpgD8 front 14 10 18.jpgD8 CCU 14 10 18.jpg