Thread: D330 broken fitting in oil gallery

Default D330 broken fitting in oil gallery

Hello All
    Went to hook up the oil feed line to the compressor today only to find the fitting snapped off level with the block. Tried "easy outs" and a little heat and it will not budge. I will have to drill it out and re-tap the thread. The problem is I don't want swarf to get into the oil gallery so what I am thinking of doing is connecting an air line to the oil gallery at the back of the engine and putting 5-10 psi of air pressure into it while I drill it out and re-tap. Would that be sufficient?

Regards

Phil
    D6-5R, D6-4R, D8 15A x 3, 944A Wheel Loader, 305CE Excavator, XQE20 Generator

Yes, that should work.
    Last place I worked at the filed Service guys were doing upgrades on oil filled dampers. That put a heavy grease on the drill bits to capture the swarf. Drill a little, pull it out, wipe, re-apply grease.
    Air back fed to blow out should work also. When done, give it a good blow to remove any that may have been sticking in the oil residue.

You could also swab the hole with a pipe cleaner or gun brush as the air runs out for a final clean up.
    D2 5u & 3J
    212 9T
    RD4
    D4 7J & 7U
    R4 4G
    Gas 35's
    Diesel 35
    Diesel 40
    Gas 50's 5A
    Diesel 50 1E1755
    Diesel 75
    D 8800 power unit 9J 6113SP
    LeTourneau D4 tournapull/Q Carryall
    Letourneau D Carryall's
    LaPlant-Choate CAB-97

When I need to drill and or tap into a oil galley, I put the shop air line into the oil passage as close as I can to the broken fitting. and turn on the air, so air is flowing out under high pressure where I am going to drill/Tap. When I do drill and tap, the air blows the chips out with the air. Then I pump high pressure oil to clean the passage. new oil and filter. sometimes it will take 2 air hoses, 0ne above and one below the damaged hole to make sure no chips get into the bearings....WA7OPY

Quote Originally Posted by WA7OPY View Post
    When I need to drill and or tap into a oil galley, I put the shop air line into the oil passage as close as I can to the broken fitting. and turn on the air, so air is flowing out under high pressure where I am going to drill/Tap. When I do drill and tap, the air blows the chips out with the air. Then I pump high pressure oil to clean the passage. new oil and filter. sometimes it will take 2 air hoses, 0ne above and one below the damaged hole to make sure no chips get into the bearings....WA7OPY
    It goes without saying that you must wear tight fitting goggles or other eye protection so that you don't get metal swarf in your eyes if using high pressure air in this way.
    John Gaunt
    1941 D7 7M
    1940 D4 7J
    1940 D2 5J
    1940 R2 4J

Thanks for the replies. I don't think it would be a good idea to put anymore air pressure in the system than the max oil pressure. There is no oil in the engine yet it is a rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by gauntjoh View Post
    It goes without saying that you must wear tight fitting goggles or other eye protection so that you don't get metal swarf in your eyes if using high pressure air in this way.
    If it goes without saying, why say it?
    D6-5R, D6-4R, D8 15A x 3, 944A Wheel Loader, 305CE Excavator, XQE20 Generator