Thread: Swapping tracks and sprockets from 9u to d6b

Default Swapping tracks and sprockets from 9u to d6b

Getting ready to move undercarriage parts from a parts tractor 9u to a D6B 44a. The d6b has very worn out pins and bushings and the sprockets are worn out. Parts 9u has better than 50% parts. Going to swap parts at a friends shop that has the tools required for the project. Wondering what parts I might want to pick up before the project to save down time ordering parts once we start. Thinking new master pins and maybe the bellows seals? Any suggestions? Part numbers or parts source suggestions? Plan is to split tracks and remove, then drop swing frames to access sprockets, anything I should watch out for? Thanks, Mike

Did you check/compare number of link sections? There is a difference of one section between large and small front idlers.

I will double check OM, but I think with your help last summer identifying track link numbers I have found a parts tractor with the same 39 link tracks for the swap. Both tractors are Ag crawlers so smaller front idler seems common. Thanks

one thing you want to watch is the sprocket spline fit to the axle, i had one that had perfect sprocket but it was loose on the shaft, ended up cutting the sprocket ring off the hub and swapping it over to a tight one and welding a new hub into the good sprocket ring. if your seals are good on the d6b, you may want to leave them undisturbed, and cut the good sprocket rings off the hubs and weld them back in place , you can do all of that with only dropping the track frame and not disturbing the bellows seals.

before you start see if theirs any play in the axlebearings by prying on the sprockets, if there is, you may need to put the outer axle bearings in the support the outside of the live axle on the dead axle, if that's the case, you're going to need the bellows seals most likely, i've heard you can update the bellows seals to the split ring design like on a modern cat, but i don't have any literature to support that, or maybe the d6b was new enough it had them already. hopefully someone can chime in on that, i don;t have experience on a d6b, only d6c and 9u's and 5r's.

Depends on the s/n of the D6B.
    s/n 44A5155-up already have the upgraded seals.
    Same parts can be used to upgrade the 8/9U seals.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for clarifying that for me old, working on 44a 7043 so I should have the newer style. Are these thought to be reusable or should they be replaced when I swap the sprockets?

Check the rings for wear and pattern. If wear is excessive or uneven the assemblies should be replaced. At a minimum replace seals and rubber rings which have probably lost their elasticity.