Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: They’re still out there...

Thanks all, it’s a pretty neat place. He had a couple of Harris combines in the bone pile. One steel, one wood. Both pretty well gone. Wood one has “Harris” spelled out on the return elevator. Owner said I was welcome to pick around out in the bone pile and haul off anything I could find.

The Sixty is missing it’s left fender, fellow said “oh it’s up in another shed”. Sure enough in the rafters of another shed was the left fender. Along with the original tripod grease pump, and two five gallon gas cans that, I’m told, came with the tractor to pack gas to it.

This whole affair started a couple weekends ago. I had taken my Holt 45 to a plowing bee. As I was running it, a older gentleman was watching. He came to me and said he knew of a tractor that had that same engine in it. My first thought was. WOW a Holt 45 tractor hid away!! The fellow told me the owners name. Now here’s where it gets screwy. I’m TERRIBLE with names. Like really really terrible with names. So naturally I quickly forgot the name he told me. What’s worse, I didn’t know the guy who told me. There was lots of people there and I never could find him again.

I was pretty irritated with myself but I couldn’t get the thought of that tractor out of my head. After some head scratching, and on a hunch, I called the guy who I thought had told me about the tractor. I lucked out and it was him who had talked to me. This time I wrote down the name and number of the owner and promptly called him.

Turned out it wasn’t a Holt 45 tractor, but a nice Sixty. The owner was happy to visit about the Sixty, it’s history, and farming with Cats in general.

So yesterday I went and looked it over. We made a deal and there will be many more pictures when the recovery starts.

BP.
    Holt 45 power unit, Two Ton, Sixty (2), Diesel 40, No.11 AutoPatrol, 4G D4, 9U D6, 17R D6C, 9G D7, 7M D7, DW20.

congratulations Bruce

Default Neato!

Great little story behind your “latest” acquisition. I can envision myself having an acute case of CRS gnawing at me in similar instances. I was once called a “big baby” and “tough luck” by a princess of a former female friend for failing to make note of such finds. Happy ending was, she secretly told the mans wife that I wanted it, and gave her a deposit!
    I don’t know what is more fun: swapping stories of eating dirt, playing in the dirt or finding new treasures!
    Looks like you did well again, congratulations! Hope to get some progress reports soon. Enjoy. JM

Great find Bruce!

You know I bet there are more of those old tractors around that area. We had them by the thousands I would guess, well hundreds anyway!

It's just that for so long we just did not place a nostalgic value on them.

Hopefully we are learning our lesson, Good on you Bruce for taking a leadership role in that endeavor.

Winston told me once that Sixty that sold at the Ted Small auction for 20K he saw many times up the Hogeye and he could have had it for a little more than hauling it away. But at the time it was just an old tractor!

In the 70's I let my Uncles 1939 AC-WK be given away because I lived in IA an the tractor was in WA. Now I am sorry for that slacker attitude.

I am jealous.
    John Liebermann
    2 9U's, 5J, IHC544, Ford860, (All working farm tractors)
    cojhl2@gmail.com

Very Cool! Please keep us updated with pics and info..

Will do for sure! Hoping to get the truck lined out this week. I can’t wait to get it into the daylight.
    BP.
    Holt 45 power unit, Two Ton, Sixty (2), Diesel 40, No.11 AutoPatrol, 4G D4, 9U D6, 17R D6C, 9G D7, 7M D7, DW20.

Great find, Jealous-----I will say the best way to find old tractors is to take one to a show and talk with people. That is how I got my sixty.

Default Recovery day!!

So today was the day. I got up to St John Washington by 9:15 this morning and got ready to load the Sixty. Truck arrived at 11:00 and with a hard bar between tractors we shoved the Sixty onto my buddies detach. Both steering clutches work to my surprise. By 2:30 we were home and unloaded. I got the other fender and the grease pump too.

Here are some pictures. Enjoy!

Anyone know what that little bracket below the seat is in the last picture?

BP.

28290F25-3DF2-4476-B46F-7000B3AB0625.jpg17DF2E0E-E2E3-455C-876B-DB6FBF9973CC.jpg0BE2CE44-3BF8-4934-8CF4-21709431074C.jpg6D29AAA0-AEE7-46AA-B6E7-96FFA721BA6B.jpg4F790E8E-122A-4F8D-A33D-37AC8522031A.jpg3D4A7419-6C98-4F22-A9CE-653F88EEADD0.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce P View Post
    I’m told it’s been in there since ‘64.

It’s no longer for sale

BP.
    Something laid up 55 years. Imagine that. Making it live, breath and work again... Good luck!

Wow! Looks great.