Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Same machine 320D, new problem, cracked boom

Default A LITTLE Too long?????????????

Hi, GMBM.
    Did they let that one go a LITTLE too long too? LOL.

Just my warped sense of humor.
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.

all very good info. i would get the info from cat as there lost of info in there about welding as Cat was one of the founders of the AWS. only thing that was not added was round coroners on a fish plate. i really like to do crack work with ark air as it's faster and let's you follow the crack better than a grinder. the heat will open up the crack as you go. a grinder can smear in to the crack and make it look like it's all gone plus who really like grinding anyways. i would say it would be better to have New and dry rod than worrying about 11018 over 7018. i done a Jd boom for a scrap guy with was a 30 ton machine and has not come back.

Quote Originally Posted by mog5858 View Post
    all very good info. i would get the info from cat as there lost of info in there about welding as Cat was one of the founders of the AWS. only thing that was not added was round coroners on a fish plate. i really like to do crack work with ark air as it's faster and let's you follow the crack better than a grinder. the heat will open up the crack as you go. a grinder can smear in to the crack and make it look like it's all gone plus who really like grinding anyways. i would say it would be better to have New and dry rod than worrying about 11018 over 7018. i done a Jd boom for a scrap guy with was a 30 ton machine and has not come back.
    You right moog, all the fishplates in the cat diagram are engineered with the specs and engineered drawings along with material type and thickness are all in the spec. You are welding in the inside wayyy before your weld your way out to the outside.

Depends on when you want to spend your $. Now or later..... Just make sure you have it later

many of you guys are using the term fishplate which is not really correct--fishplates are used on the end of two beams or rails to join them together--most notably to tie sections of rail together. the term flichplate is used in my steel design handbooks but mostly used in the design of a side support to timber beams used in headers and such, but also used to strengthen a steel beam by adding a plate, except a plate added to the bottom or top of a steel beam is called a cover plate ,Probably the best definition is splice plate,
    Cat 941B, Cat D2 4U, Cat D3B, Cat D4 7U, Cat D6 9U

Default Speaking of fish plates......

Quote Originally Posted by dpendzic View Post
    many of you guys are using the term fishplate which is not really correct--fishplates are used on the end of two beams or rails to join them together--most notably to tie sections of rail together. the term flichplate is used in my steel design handbooks but mostly used in the design of a side support to timber beams used in headers and such, but also used to strengthen a steel beam by adding a plate, except a plate added to the bottom or top of a steel beam is called a cover plate ,Probably the best definition is splice plate,
    dpendzic,

I can tell you what I have in one of my cookbooks that seems to be similar to your "flichplate." Its called a "gefilte fish plate." Being from Long Island I am quite sure you can broaden our knowledge and explain the difference.

That aside, there is a lot I don't know about welding excavator booms but I am learning fast! Good thread.

JanM