Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clark CA-1 Restoration - Warning - Off Topic Content.

Default Pull Grader

Quote Originally Posted by oldbeek View Post
    Thank you, That is a great story.
    Hi Oldbeek, noticed on your line you have an Adams Model 22 Grader. Iím looking for a Model 11S to go with the Clark. But thought you might like to see a picture of my Adams Model 84

6000216A-FFEF-4A98-A2AF-5FB25312F17F.jpeg

Model 84

F9ABA890-027E-443E-96D9-77942D31A1A5.jpg

Model 11S

Don G

Default Link.

Thanks for the link, westfork. That is a really neat article with some great pictures.

haperjmichael - I haven't used evaporust before. Sounds like I should try it. I have used citric acid and a few other elixirs that I liked, but that one sounds really good. I'll check it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Oldbeek's Adams is a really neat grader and in really nice shape. We have threatened to bring it to a show and have him pull it with our Sixty, but haven't quite gotten that done yet. Now that he's had a personal overhaul, once he's mended up we'll have to make sure that happens. He makes that No. 12 dance, but it look too easy. We'll have to get him to train a grader operator (or tractor operator, his choice) and give him a little challenge.

It'd be really neat to see the No. 60 elevating grader, pulled by Joe's RD-6 working side by side with oldbeek's Adams being pulled by a Sixty at Santa Margarita.

Pete.

Default Elevating Graders.

Hi, Garlic Pete.
    Here is a video of a Cat #48 elevating grader being pulled by a Cat D8 8R series re-powered with a Cat D17000 V8 diesel working at a show in Australia in 2005.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH4RFCatWaU

Just my 0.02. Enjoy.
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.

Default D17000.

I've seen that video before, Deas but it has been a long time. I'm glad you reminded us of that.

Love that D17000 powered Cat, and using it to pull the No. 48 is really great.

Long ago, when all I had was a D2 and our $200.00 1969 Freightliner, short wheelbase two axle with 318 Detroit and Thirteen speed, I used to go over and pet a D17000 genset that was parked outside a concrete crushing company in Bakersfield.

That genset was on a purpose built semi trailer with tandem axles. It was about forty feet long, had just the two trailer frame rails and they were set up with the D17000 up over the kingpin with the radiator facing the front, the rails dipped down with a set of steps on each side in the middle and a small platform behind and around the generator, flywheel housing and pony area. When you turned around on the platform there was an electrical cabinet and behind that, up over the tandems, was an oval 500 gallon fuel tank.

The pony had been slightly modified with a car starter on a pivot with a long pole handle with starter button on the end. You'd grab the pole, swing the starter down so that the stack of rubber which had been put in place of the Bendix would rub on the pony flywheel and you were ready to go.

The concrete crushing company bought it to run a crusher, but found it didn't have quite enough power. They wanted $4,500, which I didn't have. It sat there next to the road for several years. I'd go by every once in a while to look at it, crawl around and give it a pet. They got to know who I was and would just wave through the office door. One day they moved out of the industrial lot they had been in, the generator set left with them and I haven't seen it since.

It was really nice, pretty original and they said it worked well. It appeared to be ex-Los Angeles Department of Water and Power and I believe went to an oil company or oil service company after that. The crushing company said they bought it from a guy in Taft who had a bunch of similar units parked in his back lot, way back on the dirt oil roads. I've looked around, asked around and even asked Oil Slick if he knew anything like that, but so far it is chasing a rainbow.

If I had bought it, when I got the FWD a few years later, I'd have the perfect Ex-DWP rough terrain electrical setup. Too bad, but I guess we all have the one that got away.

Pete.