Thread: Starting diesel without governor on Pony

Default Starting diesel without governor on Pony

My 212 grader doesn't have the governor installed on the pony. Will the diesel, once starting pinion is being engaged, bog the pony down, and stall the pony out? I'm having the pony carb rebuilt at the moment, so I am in a holding pattern, and just curious if I need to search for a governor. Thanks as always!

I have been starting my D311 on my D2 for years without a governor on the pony--I just make sure I have half throttle when i engage the pinion and then increase the throttle a little before I throw the decompression lever
    Cat 941B, Cat D2 4U, Cat D3B, Cat D4 7U, Cat D6 9U

Without a governor you will be as busy as a one armed paper hanger! At the very least you will need a very easily and conveniently movable throttle.
    D2-5J's, D6-9U's, D318 and D333 power units, 12E-99E grader, 922B & 944A wheel loaders, D330C generator set, DW20 water tanker and a bunch of Jersey cows to take care of in my spare time

I have 2 spare governors, NOT rebuilt. If you want one and willing to pay the shipping I will send you one. PM me.
    Cat 12 grader, 8T running and restoring, Cat 12 grader 9K3585. parts machine, Adams leaning wheel Pull grader Mod # 22, ser#438