Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New member with D82u

Default New member with D82u

Hi I recently purchased a D82U. I rescued it from the certain death of scrappers. It has been sitting for at least 20+ years. Today i was able to get it fired up and moving. Ive had my eye on this old cat for many years. I ordered a manual for it. I need to adjust the main clutch. I have to pull the clutch lever quite hard to get it to engage. I don't have much experience with these old cats but i have always admired them. This is serial number 2U3408 can anyone tell me what year it was made? Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

1947 model year, production started at #2U2126 and ended at #2U4592. Glad you were able to save her from the scrappers, and welcome aboard!
    D2 5J2115SP
    D2 5U7066
    RD6 2H1768
    RD6 2H3072
    No.9 Auto Patrol 8A331
    No.9 Auto Patrol 8A340
    No.9 Auto Patrol 8A539
    Ten PT3037
    Twenty PL134 (Yard-Art)
    Minneapolis-Moline prototype crawler X253
    1945 Farmall H

Bravo! Nice Save.

Ah Sasquatch ive been watching your videos on YouTube. Keep it up! Thank you for the information. It sure was exciting seeing this old gal come back to life today. I have a D47J i messed with this summer. But the engine was seized and after many hours of work i was unable to break it loose. But the price was cheap enough i just parked it in the yard as a display piece.

Here are some more pictures

kinda big 1 for a new member, good luck with ur project.
    My engine & tractor video's, thanks 4 looking.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/d4mike01/videos

Stars & Stripes, My only garage and patio art.
    https://youtu.be/sGNjz8iCuc0

Welcome and congrats!! That looks like a real sweetheart!!

BP.
    Holt 45 power unit, Two Ton, Sixty (2), Diesel 40, No.11 AutoPatrol, 4G D4, 9U D6, 17R D6C, 9G D7, 7M D7, DW20.

Great find.
    I have found the clutch plates must swell slightly on a dry clutch machine like yours that hasn't been used for a long period.
    If you cant put up with it loosen the adjustment slightly. You will be tightening the adjustment after a bit of use..
    You need to know how to adjust and lubricate the clutch.
    Clutch adjustment and lubrication is part of a operators daily routine.
    When using these dry clutch machines, although the book says not to , I keep a squirt bottle of thin oil on the machine to squirt oil on the over center linkage pins. . This makes clutch use a lot easier and smoother.

As per Andrew saying oil the linkages on the clutch it helps but from experience that is not the end of the story.

As a kid learning close up tillage of walnut trees with a 4r D6, no protection from limbs the clutch needed to working well as it was life and death. Besides greasing the old guy instructing said a little oil on the clutch linkage helps.Well one day I cannot get in disengaged, so shut it down and went for the old guy.

"Have you been oiling like I show you", yes of course. "When was the last time you washed it with gas", he forget to tell me that part. If you start getting a build up of dirt,splash some gas and some compressed air to clean and start over with oil. I am not familiar with the changes but if your clutch is enclosed rather than out in the open it will not get caked in dirt near as fast.

This was very dusty conditions and the 4r and 5r had no cover to keep dust off as the newer 8u and 9u have with the same clutch.

Default Nice Save!

Wear on the Pin Bosses in photo4 suggests the Rollers are shot!
    If its a few hours a year machine, no big deal!
    If you are planning to use it, then either replacement or reconditioning is in order.