Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best of the West, Santa Margarita California May 24-26, 2019

Love Best of the West, Santa Margarita California May 24-26, 2019

Well Gang, it is that time of the year again. It is hard to believe that we are 4 months and 2 days away from the 6th Best of the West Show on the Beautiful Santa Margarita Ranch in the heart of the Central Coast of California.

We invite all of you collectors to come out to SLO County and enjoy some of the greatness of the Golden State (believe me we have plenty of the bad as well) as there are few places in the world that combine the topography, history, weather, access to cities (but not too close) and what we all love, the tractors that can only exist in the birthplace of Caterpillar and its predecessors, Best and Holt.

Deas, perhaps you can let everyone know what you have planned for the digging area this year, weather permitting.

Here are a couple of links to prior years' show discussions:

http://www.acmoc.org/bb/showthread.p...anta+margarita

The website for the Best of the West Show is here www.bestofthewestshow.com and all forms will be uploaded by months end. We all hope to renew old friendships and meet new folks who will be our friends in the hobby.

We have confirmation that lots of new collectors are making the trek to Best of the West for the 19 show from places, like Canada, Mexico, England and all over this great County of ours. I am really trying to get the gentleman who saved the Holt 120 that my family now owns to come down from Alaska for the show. His son and I are conspiring so I really hope it can happen.

As always, there will be new stuff at the show this year. Hopefully Skinner has his original Best 30 cruising around the showgrounds, Fatcat has the Tail Seat 60 purring and lots of other significant projects are here for all to see.

Check back as more will be posted as we progress.
    BEST TRACKLAYERS ARE #1

Default Comin' UPP!

Hi, Folks.
    Firstly, Tom, thank you for the warning.

To everybody - rumor has it that there may just possibly be a chance to participate in 'ackshully' BUILDING something that will STAY as a working part of the Santa Margarita Ranch during this show - as opposed to digging a hole for a day and a 1/2 and then filling it in for a day and a 1/2. Now THAT'LL be diff'rent.

And just MAYBE, even more than one project to work on.

Amongst all the other 'conspiracies' happening at the moment is another one, the goal of which seems to be to have yours truly back over there again to cause mischief and 'pervert' the course of American immigration justice. LOL.

Stay 'tooned'.

Just my 0.02.
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.

Thanks for the heads up i should have planting done by then but as of now we still have 70 acres of soybeans to go had a lot of rain then ice and snow now warming up with rain then snow we were able to do some harvesting 2 weeks ago and then more rain you have just gotta love the midwest weather
    Best 60
    Cat 60
    Holt 5 ton armored
    Holt 5 ton
    Holt 2 ton early
    holt 2 ton late
    cat 2 ton
    cat ten high
    cat ten wide
    cat ten 2
    fifteen 3
    twenty L 6
    22 3
    28 W
    30 S & PS 6
    6G 30 5
    35 gas 2
    35 D
    40 gas
    40 D
    Diesel 75
    RD 6
    D6 3&6 cyl

Default Come on Out

ChuckB

We hope you can get your farming done and get out this way. Make sure if you do, you look me up.

Tom
    BEST TRACKLAYERS ARE #1

Default DUI on a 637

In light of the post addressing DUI's on a dozer, I cannot predict much, but I can predict that if you come out to the BOTW in May you will not see Deas, or for that matter Garlic Pete, drunk driving on a 637. The strongest drink I have ever seen Deas take is an Orange Juice. Pete does tend to step over the edge a bit and order an iced tea or a diet soda once in a while but I have not seen him weaving on a piece of equipment that was caused by alcohol. I have seen Pete weaving on equipment but that is a story for a different day after I have had a few!
    BEST TRACKLAYERS ARE #1

Default Fergetting, aintchyer???????????

Hi, Tom.
    Fergetting, aintchyer?????? You've seen me consume quite a few beers and even bought me one or two, thank you. ROOT beers, that is.

BUTTTT, I'm sometimes a bit worried about drug tests on site. I doubt I would pass. I'm high azza kite - - - - on LIFE.

Just my 0.02.

Deas Plant.

Default Suggestion

If you are planning on attending Santa Margarita - I suggest you start looking at lodging, etc now.
    Memorial Weekend is very busy - Many of the establishments had no availability unless one booked in advance.
    Motel Room I stayed in more than doubled in price for Saturday night! Ask!

Maybe Tom or one of the others here can make suggestions?

cts

Default Accommodation.

Hi, Folks.
    There is apparently nowhere in Santa Margarita for accommodation - except where I will be staying and THAT is pretty exclusive and already booked out,

There is nothing to the East for over 50 miles and so you are left with North or South along Route 101 - San Luis Obispo, Atascadero or Paso Robles - or West to Morro Bay or Cambria. There is a fair collection of motels in Atascadero. I haven't checked SLO or Paso Robles.

Happy hunting.

Just my 0.02.

Deas Plant.

If your looking for lodging, Atascadero and San Luis Obispo are the closest towns with hotels in them from the show. The third would be Paso Robles. Unfortunately our little towns do fill up during major holidays due to our desirable weather, location and attractions. For any one that wants to rent an rv or camping trailer, please contact Get Away Rv Rental. Craig Hanson is the owner (805)835-5547 or look up his website, they will deliver to the show site and set up trailer for you. All of his trailers are new and top notch. I just got off the phone and for the first time at the show we will have a stationary threaser thrashing grain, and then we will also be running a stationary John Deere hay baler baling the straw. Any old timers are welcome to help, we are putting together our thrashing and baler crew now. I heard the pay is pretty good and might be rewarded with an ice cold barley pop or 2 at the end of the shift. Please, if you have not made it out west for our show I canít recommend it enough, and if you have been in the past please return with more family and friends and equipment.

Take care, Travis Hansen

Default 2019 Show Update.

Hi, Folks.
    An update on the upcoming 2019 Best Of The West show.

We are a WHOLE 3 weeks away from the show this coming Friday.

Yesterday, the ranch foreman and I took the ranch's baby backhoe/TLB out into the reservoir area where we were hoping to have the dig area for the show and dug a test hole. We found ground water seeping into the hole from as close to the surface as TWO feet. We both doubt that we would be able to strip even a foot of the fairly deep topsoil without machines starting to get bogged. Blame Mother Nature and Old Man Winter.

In light of this, it has been decided that the earth moving and plowing displays will be as they were last year, to the South of the main display area, although the plowing display area will be to the East of the earth moving area this year rather than further South.

Come along anyway. Most of the usual suspects will be there having fun and enjoying the displays.

Just my 0.02.

Deas Plant.