Thread: Stockton Gang Plows

Default Stockton Gang Plows

Regarding the posts on Hitches and Stockton Gang Plows I think HC Shaw may have come out with the plows 10 years earlier than 1868 I have seen there standards, Wagner standards and the. LG Perkins standards that were heavier and that most later tractor plows used. As far as I know these companies supplied Parts most plows were built by blacksmiths and farmers. I know in the Mule days a lot of farmers if they had the money would have a 5 bottom 50 inch, to shallow plow in place of disking which we would do now, Later in the spring they would come back with a 4 bottom 40 inch and plow deeper for good summer fallow. The mule plows were usually ganged 20 inchs between standards and later plows were spaced out up 26 inchs they were a little better in trash , the mule plows had a swinging adjustable drawbar so as I was told they could keep there OFF side or right side mules in the furrow I saved 3 mule plows and I think I have enough lead bars for 12 or 14 head of mules. Every Stockton plow is made just a little different and has its own Personality. Hope this wasn't to long. 17afarmer

HC Shaw was started in 1872 or 1876 depending on what source you use. He was a salesman who purchased the Robert Baxter Patent that was issued in 1868. There is also the Madison plow from Stockton that pre dates that plow patent # 20647 from 1858.

This article from 1889 puts the Baxter plow being built in 1864, and Shaw selling implements in 1867.

https://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=...-txIN--------1
    Last edited by CR; 02-11-2019 at 08:57 PM.

Default Baxter plows

CR you know your history I never heard of a Baxter plow I know there were other foundreys that made standards wheels axels etc. I do know a lot the levers and misc. iron work would have been Blacksmith made 17afarmer