Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: D47U time for a pony rebuild?

I guess it depends on your confidence in the baseline condition, or what you are willing to tolerate. If you break it down to the block you could change the rings, clean out the water passages, check the bearings, reseal the crank, touch up the valves, etc.
    D2 5u & 3J
    212 9T
    RD4
    D4 7J & 7U
    R4 4G
    Gas 35's
    Diesel 35
    Diesel 40
    Gas 50's 5A
    Diesel 50 1E1755
    Diesel 75
    D 8800 power unit 9J 6113SP
    LeTourneau D4 tournapull/Q Carryall
    Letourneau D Carryall's
    LaPlant-Choate CAB-97

Default d4

You have to removed the starting enjine for repair and for the rear leak

The rear seal leak i can live with - the amount it leaks is no where near enough to worry about running low while starting the diesel. I guess my question is: can i get to the crankshaft well enough to remove the cap bolts to pull the pistons? i assume i can pull the camshaft while the block is still on the cat...

I have the servicemen's reference book, but the procedures are after the engine is off the cat...

There might be enough room to pull the camshaft out. If there is, then pulling the pistons will be no problem. The camshaft is the only part I'm not sure about.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I very much doubt you can get the cam out without removing the pony. Just getting the gear cover off the block will be a pain.
    D2 5u & 3J
    212 9T
    RD4
    D4 7J & 7U
    R4 4G
    Gas 35's
    Diesel 35
    Diesel 40
    Gas 50's 5A
    Diesel 50 1E1755
    Diesel 75
    D 8800 power unit 9J 6113SP
    LeTourneau D4 tournapull/Q Carryall
    Letourneau D Carryall's
    LaPlant-Choate CAB-97

The camshaft comes out the front/diesel side, doesn't it? No way there's room for that.

Assuming you don't have rust or scoring in the cylinders,

AND you have grabbed the flywheel and tried to move it in and out checking for excessive thrust clearance, I would be inclined to see if it might be stuck rings. I've never been a big fan of pouring anything but seafoam as an additive, but my brother and his mechanic swear by this BG Engine Performance Restoration- for unsticking rings Amazon Sells it- https://www.amazon.com/Bg109-Engine-...s%2C170&sr=8-2

It's really important that you check that end clearance as the pin holding the main bearing at the gear end of the crank is very prone to falling out and that will cause bad things to happen that will be a lot more expensive to fix. If you feel more than about .010-.025" of in and out play, pull the thing apart and fix it.

If you only start the tractor 2-3 times a year, I think it's very possible that you have at least some sticking in your rings. Put some treatment in the engine, add some clean oil, run your pony and crank the main under compression for a while and load the pony up and see how it does. If you get a bunch of exhaust coming out the dipstick and dirty oil right away, you'll be out $25 in oil and additive. To me, it's worth the test. If you've got smoke and knocking, stop and pull the thing off and dig in.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldcarman View Post
    Assuming you don't have rust or scoring in the cylinders,

AND you have grabbed the flywheel and tried to move it in and out checking for excessive thrust clearance, I would be inclined to see if it might be stuck rings. I've never been a big fan of pouring anything but seafoam as an additive, but my brother and his mechanic swear by this BG Engine Performance Restoration- for unsticking rings Amazon Sells it- https://www.amazon.com/Bg109-Engine-...s%2C170&sr=8-2

It's really important that you check that end clearance as the pin holding the main bearing at the gear end of the crank is very prone to falling out and that will cause bad things to happen that will be a lot more expensive to fix. If you feel more than about .010-.025" of in and out play, pull the thing apart and fix it.

If you only start the tractor 2-3 times a year, I think it's very possible that you have at least some sticking in your rings. Put some treatment in the engine, add some clean oil, run your pony and crank the main under compression for a while and load the pony up and see how it does. If you get a bunch of exhaust coming out the dipstick and dirty oil right away, you'll be out $25 in oil and additive. To me, it's worth the test. If you've got smoke and knocking, stop and pull the thing off and dig in.
    sounds like a plan - thanks. i'll let you know how it goes...

a remedy. drain the oil and replace with ATF or 1/2 ATF and oil. start engine and warm up for a few min. as soon as you shut it down drain and replace with new oil. if the rings are stuck this might free them.
    D4 6U,1943 D4 2T,Laplant Choate C41 Carrimor Scraper

update: in our last episode, I was debating whether to consider a rebuild or replace the belts and try to free the rings with offered techniques. Given how good everything looked, I decided to try plan B. Long story short, I did the ATF/oil mix - there was a little bit of blow by from the dipstick while cranking, but as soon as it fired up - the dancing dipstick stopped. I re-did the cleaning with BG Engine Performance Restoration (it finally got here) for good measure - and now after several starts things are better than ever.

update 2: i have tipped a beer for each one of you guys - i appreciate the guidance!